[conspire] Fedora Core 3 for a Celeron Dell desktop box

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 8 12:36:05 PST 2005

If anyone _happens_ to have a CD set of Fedora Core 3 for i386,
please do speak up.  Thanks.

----- Forwarded message from wood eddie <ewood111 at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 12:12:22 -0800 (PST)
From: wood eddie <ewood111 at yahoo.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Dec 10 CABAL 4pm at Menlo Park(Linux install Fest)

Is this still on this Sat Dec 10 ? Fedora Core 4
installed fine on Dell Optiplex GX-520 desktop system.
 Just found out need Fedora Core 3 instead. I have
Fedora Core 3 CD(rather its a multiple distribution
DVD with FC3, Ubuntu 4.1) dated Jan 2005.  Previous
FC1 install not recognize built in network adapter.
Tried boot using this multi-distribution DVD see if
can select install FC3 but it says CD-ROM media not
bootable.  I am a beginner-mid Linux user, having
installed FC1 and 4 only once. Can I bring machine
this Sat to Deidre's place at 4pm to try ?  What do I
need to bring, besides machine and monitor ? The last
FC1 and 4 install was done last month at SVLUG in Mt.
View. Thx, Eddie

http://mail.yahoo.com

> Fedora Core 4 installed fine on Dell Optiplex GX-520 desktop system.
> Just found out need Fedora Core 3 instead. I have Fedora Core 3
> CD(rather its a multiple distribution DVD with FC3, Ubuntu 4.1) dated
> Jan 2005.  Previous FC1 install not recognize built in network
> adapter.  Tried boot using this multi-distribution DVD see if can
> select install FC3 but it says CD-ROM media not bootable.

Hmm.  I don't currently have an FC3 media set, having discarded those
when FC4 came out.  I'll see if it's possible to download the ISOs (IA32
version, since your box is a Celeron) prior to the event, but cannot
promise.

> I am a beginner-mid Linux user, having installed FC1 and 4 only once.
> Can I bring machine this Sat to Deirdre's place at 4pm to try ?

Of course.

> What do I need to bring, besides machine and monitor ?

It's best to bring system unit, monitor, keyboard, and pointing device.
Don't worry if you accidentally leave power cables or other incidentals
at home, since we have lots of spares.  If it's _really_ inconvenient to
bring your monitor (and I'm sympathetic), then you can use one of our
three 17" ones -- but you're really best off setting up X11 for and on
your own monitor, so as to be double-sure things will work fine when you
go home.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                 "Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor."

----- End forwarded message -----