[conspire] Re: anyone running VMware under Debian?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 19 11:25:45 PDT 2005

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Thank you; I'll take a look. In the past, I've gotten VMware running
> relatively easily under Slackware 10.0, but that didn't require me to
> build kernel modules from scratch.

There's always Flavio Stanchina's prebuilt Debian VMware-supporting
kernel binary packages, for those who don't want that degree of bother:
http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian/vmware-kernel.html

> Building kernel modules from scratch is a frontier that I just haven't
> yet crossed.

One of the nice things about Flavio's page is that it's _also_ a gentle
guide to how one does Debian-style building and compiling of kernel
packages.  (The link to binary packages is parway down the page.)

Not that I don't have plenty of pointers to Debianised-kernel-compilation
guides, already, at "Information" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/ ,
which you're welcome to consult whenever curiosity gets the better of
you.  ;->