[conspire] I get mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 28 17:45:35 PDT 2005

Just doing a sanity check:  Was I somehow being unreasonable?

I get huge amounts of personal mail from utter strangers -- like this
guy -- who find my e-mail address as co-author of the essay "How to Ask
Questions the Smart Way" (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)
and want personal, free-of-charge help with their technical problems.

This stuff hits me from all over the world, on average half a dozen or
more a day, every day without end -- and the real irony is that our
essay VERY clearly says to _not do that_.  That's part of the POINT of
the essay.

(Some other mail comes because I'm author of the Linux User Group HOWTO
for the Linux Documentation Project, but that's typically a lot more
clueful.)

Anyhow, I don't think I was the least bit unpleasant in my initial
three-line reply (in the middle of a busy business day) that he's
bitching about.  And honestly, do _you_ just try to offload your
technical problems to people you've never met, without explanation,
without offer of payment, etc. -- and then act all offended when they're
perplexed about why you're bugging them?

[I didn't save his original mail, but most of it's quoted here:]