[conspire] SUSE again (was: Linux program to remove mail from server?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 27 17:06:23 PDT 2005

Quoting Edmund J. Biow (ejb1 at isp.com):

> Guess I won't be trying to fix my borked 9.1 install by intalling 9.3
> over the top of it.  (9.1 only intermittantly recognizes my onboard
> nvidia eth0 after using YAST to upgrade the kernel; maybe I could fix
> it, but its hard to research the situation and download files without my
> access to a wire.)

For the benefit of those who _are_ interested in SUSE:  I have recently
acquired a 5-CD set of SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Edition, the flagship
edition in its latest release.  It will be available at CABAL meetings
for installation of the basic distribution and all but a few of the
constituent packages.  The CD set will _not_ be available for
duplication.

Long-time members of conspire@ will recall the licensing discussion
concerning SUSE 9.1 Pro.  Well, not a lot's changed -- except that
Novell has placed a LICENSE.TXT file in Disk 1's root directory that has
further confused the issue, mostly because of people on the Net
quoting from it _selectively_.

I got dragged into a donnybrook on that matter on the ILUG list.  Since
that mailing list's pipermail archive seems horked, here's my two main
postings to that thread -- as of my getting the 5-CD set in hand.
(Aside: Anyone know an easy way to unpack _SUSE_ RPMs, as opposed to
normal Red Hattish ones, on another distro?)