[conspire] Linux program to remove mail from server?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Apr 27 08:55:05 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:36:37PM -0700, Edmund J. Biow wrote:
> >Have you considered running a machine locally with imap?  You use
> >fetchmail (or something close) to fetch mail from your pop accounts
> >onto your local machine.  Then any other machine in your local LAN can
> >read mail from that and it's centrally located.  Throw in a webmail
> >application and you can read your mail from anywhere without an email
> >client, too.  It's reasonably easy to setup, with a little googling.
> >

> I have considered it, Bill, and I've downloaded a distro that is
> supposed to be good for that type of thing called SME Server
> http://contribs.org/modules/news/

I have an old P3(?) running Debian stable running for that with a
backuport of Exim4.

> I'm not quite there yet, but I do feel like something is missing when
> I'm at a Windows box (maybe the challenge & the thrill of getting
> something to work the way I want).

Like ssh.  I always find it amazing that Windows doesn't come with an
ssh client.

> However multimedia tools are not so great.  First of all, most distros
> require me to jump through a bunch of hoops just to work with things
> like mp3s (I understand that SUSE, which always had mp3 support out of
> the box, has disabled

It seems like that.  It does take quite a bit more work, but I find
now I can play more things on my Linux machine than I could on
Windows.  That's not always the case (with say new Flash or
Quicktime), but I'm always amazed at how often my sister running XP
cannot play things I forward on to her.

I sure wish I knew how to use mencoder and transcode better.

There's no doubt that running Linux takes more effort, though.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org