[conspire] FUD nonsense or words of wisdom: You decide!

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 22 14:26:34 PDT 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 19:51, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> This list sees many links and quotes from pro-Linux articles.
> Here's an example of what's being said to counter that:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/04/13/16OPcurve_1.html

I wouldn't say that this article is FUD, so much as it is merely
poor analysis.  Linux and OSS (notice I didn't say FLoss, heh) are
disruptive technologies, meaning that the best customers of Linux
products and services are currently price-sensitive customers who
are not willing to pay a premium for the added "functionality" that
this author discusses.

Steve Ballmer has criticized OSS as mere copying.  He's almost
correct.  The point of Apple products and Microsoft products is to
solve integration problems for customers who are willing to pay a
premium for integrating with all of the locked down content and
data and interoperating with other locked down software.

But an increasing large segment of society will "hire" the software
which is good enough to get a basic job done easily and is
convenient to acquire and use.  So in Asia, the client is becoming
the cell phone, and many of those are running on Linux.  In the
developing world, such as the favelas of Sao Paulo, Brazil, there
are many residential neighborhoods with in adequate power supplies,
and so people go to local neighborhood telecenters to get their
computing needs met.  So while the developed world is sharing
software, the developing world is sharing software AND hardware,
and increasingly, the software they are sharing is open source.

What the author of this article doesn't get is that 5 billion people
live in countries with annual incomes below $10,000.00 USD
annually.  Those people need flexibility, low cost, and ease of
acquisition more than the kind of functionality he is talking
about.  To understand the future of computing, you really need to
look at the developing world.  Sure, the developed world will
always have a perceived need for Office 2003 in certain
circumstances, but for most people in the world, OpenOffice.org
will do just fine, and is actually preferable, since it is easier
to share legally.