[conspire] FUD nonsense or words of wisdom: You decide!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 21 20:39:09 PDT 2005

> This list sees many links and quotes from pro-Linux articles. Here's an
> example of what's being said to counter that:
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/04/13/16OPcurve_1.html

Article argues that Linux is not a "platform", and that "Businesses and
organizations of all sizes need consistent, predictable, scalable,
self-contained platforms for server solutions".  It then summarily
proclaims that "Windows wins" without bothering to demonstrate that
MS-Windows does that at all.

And of course it never has.  Businesses don't need a very good memory to
recall the innumerable times they've been jerked around by arbitrary
changes within the MS-Windows platform -- but _InfoWorld_ caters to
IT middle managers who've already bet the farm on $DUMB_TECH_DU_JOUR and
are looking for anything they can find to justify their game plans to
upper management and thus not get fired.  It's simply not in the
-interest- of such managers to remember the past -- even the recent past --
clearly.  So, we get articles like this one.

Anyway:

Going by his definition of what a "platform" is, one would want to
point him to (pick one) {Ubuntu|Kubuntu}, as a more reasonable
point of comparison than his straw man of generic "Linux".