[conspire] How not to muck up DNS & domain registration

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 13 21:23:51 PDT 2005

Quoting William R Ward (bill at wards.net):

> That took almost an hour to get through to the
> mailing list and back to me.

Let's try to figure that part out, by examining the Received headers on
the copy of your earlier mail that arrived here and passed through the
mailing list to me.  I'll rearrange the headers into chronological
order, and snip some details that don't matter in this context:

This is your local MUA handing off to "komodo", as reported by "komodo",
which might be your home Linux server.

(There's a step apparently not recorded in a Received header, in which
your mail then goes to a comcast.net host.  Then:)

This is your mail going from Comcast to some host elsewhere called
"jeffk.com".  Notice we're still only 8 seconds from your MUA's handoff.

And here's where you lost 41 minutes:  My system didn't receive the mail
from "jeffk.com" until 7:46 PM.  Why?  I have no idea.  You might need
to figure out why your mail is being routed through "jeffk.com", and
what that machine is doing with your mail for 2/3 of an hour.  ;->

I'm not ignoring your request for help parsing that SPF RR:  The problem
is that I keep forgetting how to interpret the blasted things, and have
to go back and re-read the spf.pobox.com documentation.  Later!