[conspire] Penguin Day - Demysitify FLOSS for Nonprofits

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 13 19:29:59 PDT 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 10:41, Zac Mutrux wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm helping to organize Penguin Day, an event that puts staff
> from nonprofit organizations and FLOSS enthusiasts in the same
> room for a day of learning.

This was a really great event.  So thanks to Zac for posting this
info on this list.  Zac, are you the Compumentor Zac with glasses
or without glasses?  Heh.

Non profit orgs (NPOs) and FLOSS are a natural combo.  There is some
incredible FLOSS talent on this linuxmafia list, and so I would
encourage Zac or Katrin or Gunner to come spend some time on this
list to get to know these folks.

For all of the conspirators here, I would encourage you to seek out
Penguin Days, because they have done a great job of pulling in some
fantastic NPOs.  There were folks there from Goodwill, Benetech,
and Oso Martin, the founder of Free Geek, flew down from Portland
for this event.  Interacting with these NPOs would be a great way
to spread FLOSS.

I interviewed a couple folks for MadPenguin.org magazine, and if you
would like me to post the links here when those articles are done
in a couple of weeks (I do my MP writing at night, after work),
then please let me know.

In fact, Rick or whoever else is a tribal elder here, I would like
to know if I should NOT post a link for articles that I am writing
for MP.  They generally are of interest to folks on this list.  I
haven't done it in the past, simply because I didn't want to appear
self-promoting.

But for example, I have done a couple of interviews in the past of
Danese Cooper, formerly the open source diva of Sun and now IBM's
open source diva, and also Roy Fielding, Greg Stein, and Brian B of
Apache.  Maybe the appropriate thing to do is to just let people
find those things by themselves, rather than linking it here.  I'd
like to know what people would think of me posting those links on
this list.  Thanks, Christian Einfeldt