[conspire] CABAL meeting, this Saturday. Ubuntu goodness.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 8 18:25:28 PDT 2005

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> I downloaded kubuntu 5.04 i386 install iso via bit torrent and am
> downloading the  kubuntu 5.04 i386 live iso and the Power PC iso's ,
> though the latter two are very slow and may not be done by tomorrow. I
> will burn and bring the kubuntu-5.04 iso's that I have done tomorrow.
>
> I think that a lot of people on bit torrent are using pots lines and
> slow modems. :-)

In case it wasn't obvious from Ross's message, "Kubuntu" is Ubuntu with
desktop packages selected for KDE emphasis instead of GNOME.  There are
two ways to install Kubuntu:

1.  Download and install from a Kubuntu ISO.  This gives you a KDE-based
desktop system.

2.  Install Ubuntu, and then do "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop".
This fetches a number of KDE package, supplementing (but not removing)
the GNOME ones.  So, what you get in this case is a system with both
desktop systems, really.  Either can be selected at login, etc.

And yes, the opposite approach also works:  If you install a system from
a Kubuntu ISO, typing "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" fetches a number
of _GNOME_ packages, resulting in the exact same sort of combo system
described in #2, above.

Current weather in Menlo Park:  Sunny!  No clouds.

I've optimistically swept off the back porch, and it's gone from soaking
wet to 20% dry in the last hour.