[conspire] Meeting dates

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Oct 11 12:48:48 PDT 2004

[Quoted text from Daniel was one of the few blocked from transit to the
mailing list half of this forum by the then-broken news -> mail
gateway.]

Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:23:53 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>
>> Saturday, February 12, 2005:  Lincoln's Birthday.  (Yes, but this is
>>    the genuine Lincoln's birthday, not the "Presidents' Day" getaway
>>    weekend.  That's the following weekend.  So, no cancellation.)
>> Saturday, October 8, 2005:  Columbus Day weekend.   [Dunno.  I'll
>>    have to think about that one.]
>
> Food for thought: Just like Lincoln's Birthday, the genuine Columbus Day
> is October 12 every year (which in 1492 was a Friday), not the second
> Monday getaway weekend. If you follow the pattern of not cancelling on the
> genuine holiday, one might expect you to cancel on the non-genuine holiday
> of 2005-10-08.

By coincidence, this past weekend was 2004's Columbus Day weekend -- and
today just happens to be Columbus Day.  I notice that we had a pretty
big turnout for Saturday's CABAL meeting -- and I'm pretty sure it
wasn't really a "getaway weekend".  So, I'm inclined not to cancel the
Oct. 8, 2005 one (unless some compelling reason comes up).

rick at linuxmafia.com