[conspire] Re: installer funnies

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 13 13:21:11 PST 2004

On Saturday, November 13, 2004, at 01:00 PM,
conspire-request at linuxmafia.com wrote:

> This points out something that occurred to me, when I read the problem
> that are fully automated and autoprobe hardware aggressively, but are
> fallible on some hardware -- such as Xandros, Ubuntu, Mandrakelinux,
> etc. and (2) those that Just Plain Work on all possible hardware but
> leave details of hardware setup / driver selection to the admin, such
> as
> the Official Debian installer.

I've noticed similar problems with my two linux boxes. Xandros would
not install on one of my boxes. I ended up installing Ubuntu with no
problems. On the other box I tried a SimplyMEPIS install with problems,
so I ended up installing Knottix with no problems.

I guess it should be chalked up to choice in hardware being a 'good
thing'.
Fortunately, there are a number of different distributions so one can
try a
few until you hit on one that likes your hardware. At least until you do
that program install or system upgrade that breaks everything all over
again.

Of more interest to me is the availability of the applications that I
need. The
one thing that I have noticed is that some programs don't make it into
Debian. I suppose that I will have to look into learning how to compile
programs and how to install rpm's into Debian.

Latest program that I am interested in is Kicad, an electronics CAD
program
that does electronic schematic capture and board layout and Gerber file
generation and reading. Two problems, it is rpm and in French. I can
follow
along well enough to use the program in French, but will need help with
the
first problem in getting it onto my linux box and running.

See everyone at the CABAL meeitng.

Ross