[conspire] [q5] (XMMS/audio player) thank yous

Eric De Mund ead-linuxmafia at ixian.com
Wed Nov 3 01:35:20 PST 2004

Don, Good People,

Eric De Mund <ead at ixian.com>:
] q5:  Is XMMS still king, for playing audio?

Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>:
] I'm having fun with Rhythmbox, but for some reason the version 0.8.5
] on this Ubuntu install is freezing up when I try to add a new Internet
] radio station. Works fine for local oggs though and has a cleaner look
] than XMMS.
]
] http://www.rhythmbox.org/

Thank you. I might look into this, down the road. Re "cleaner look than
XMMS", note that XMMS supports classic (as opposed to modern) Winamp
skins. I decided to run with the "Nucleo NLog v2G" skin, which is
elegant and clean, functional, and easy on the eyes over the long haul:

    Nucleo NLog v2G (7.1M downloads strong)
    http://www.winamp.com/skins/details.php?id=81567

To use it, simply drop the Nucleo_NLog_v102_.zip file, as is, into your
<file:///$HOME/.xmms/Skins/> directory.

Calvin Wong <cwong47 at ccsf.edu>:
] xmms is mighty fine, playmp3list or cplay for console are very nice too

Thanks. I'll keep these command-line tools in mind.

Ross Bernheim <rossbernheim at speakeasy.net>:
] Yes, it appears to be.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:
] As usual with AV questions, I'm better off deferring to others, but
] certainly XMMS is nice if a little funky-looking.

Thanks. As noted above, the "Nucleo NLog v2G" skin is exceptionally
elegant and easy on the eyes. Once I discovered that this skin, which
I'd been using with Winamp under Windows, worked with XMMS, I stopped
looking for and at other audio players.

Eric
--
"The president is aware of what is going on. That's not to say that
there is something going on." --Ron Ziegler, press secretary to Presi-

Eric De Mund              |   Ixian Systems, Inc.   | cell: 650.303.4336
email: <ead at ixian.com>    | 650 Castro St, #120-210 |  fax: 240.282.4443
http://www.ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | Y!IM: ead0002