[conspire] is there a minimum size iso that cdrecord will successfully write to a cd?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 2 16:54:01 PST 2004

> The lines below speak volumes. Unless you used a CD-RW, you have most
> likely burned a coaster, because you accidentally typed ./ instead of >>
> on the cdrecord command line.

Sharp eyes!  I've been busy and didn't catch that.

Darlene, he means this'n:

# cdrecord -v -dev=0,0,0 speed=8 name.iso ./cdrecord-name.iso.log 2>&1
                                          ^^

Ordinarily, one lets the cdrecord program send its regular, modest output
mumblings to stdout, i.e., to the screen where you started it from.  If
you want to do that, type everything you had up to "name.iso", and omit
the rest.

Daniel is very plausibly guessing that you were attempting, instead, to
capture both stdout (output stream #1) and stderr (output stream #2) to
a file called cdrecord-name.iso.log .  Which is all well and good -- and
your "./" is harmless in itself (if somewhat useless, here), but you
need to include a _redirect_:

# cdrecord -v -dev=0,0,0 speed=8 name.iso > ./cdrecord-name.iso.log 2>&1

or, equivalently, omit the "./", which in this context serves no purpose:

# cdrecord -v -dev=0,0,0 speed=8 name.iso > cdrecord-name.iso.log 2>&1

(Again, I'm not trying to patronise you in any of this.  I'm slightly
overexplaining things for the benefit of other readers.)

Without the "2>%1" at the end, the first ">" would (per its default meaning)
redirect stdout only:

# drecord -v -dev=0,0,0 speed=8 name.iso > cdrecord-name.iso.log

In that case, any error stream would still display to the console.
Adding "2>&1" to that means "...and also send stream #2 (stderr) to the
same place stream #1 (stdout) is going, please."