[conspire] debian mirrors

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 30 22:20:00 PST 2004

Hi, Bruce.  That was a little tough to parse.

Quoting bruce coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

[MEPIS box:]

> update has an annoyance and using install simplymepis as the site says
> does not seem to work because it also can't get some stuff.

[You got Firefox working.]

> how much trouble is ~"can't stat a source package list" likely to
> cause if i use only/mostly binaries

First of all, do I correctly remember that MEPIS uses apt-get?  If so,
"can't stat a source package list" might mean that apt is unable for
some reason to retrieve a Packages.gz catalog, with "source" referring
just to the remote package source (the "deb" line in
/etc/apt/sources.list), not to source code.

"stat" refers to the system call of that name, i.e., stat(2), which is
used to poke at files to find out whether they're present and what
condition they're in.  (Do "man 2 stat" for more details.)  The phrase
"can't stat [foo]" tends to be used as Unixese for "for some reason, I
can't get my paws on file [foo]".

Your question would be a lot easier to answer if you were to post a
transcript of what you did, and what the system did, in proper
chronological order -- so that we're not left guessing about what you're
talking about.  You could generate such a transcript by opening a
command shell and running "script", which starts a subshell all of whose
screen output is logged to a file, default name "typescript".  Typing
"exit" or Ctrl-D closes the subshell (as usual).