[conspire] (forw) [TAG] ReiserFS 4 Released.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 24 10:04:33 PDT 2004

Bruce will be cheered by this!

----- Forwarded message from Jimmy O'Regan <jimregan at o2.ie> -----

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:40:02 +0100
From: Jimmy O'Regan <jimregan at o2.ie>
To: The Answer Gang <tag at linuxgazette.net>
Subject: [TAG] ReiserFS 4 Released.

Reiser4 has been released: http://namesys.com/

This is the newest version of ReiserFS, which is designed to be more
like a database than a traditional Unix filesystem, while providing an
interface which appears to be a traditional Unix FS. Reiser4 looks to be
a throwback to the sort of file systems used in mainframes - the
homepage gives the specific example of providing the ability to treat
each field of /etc/passwd as a separate entity, which can be
individually checked for modification times, which is somewhat like the
filesystem used by the AS/400 (which is built on top of DB/2), where
text files are actually like SQL views, and each line of each file can
be individually selected.

Wonder if we'll start to see conversions from mainframe types now?