[conspire] (forw) Re: Cow Place this coming Saturday?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Apr 13 23:50:08 PDT 2004

----- Forwarded message from rick -----

Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:49:18 -0700
To: [snipped]
Subject: Re: Cow Place this coming Saturday?

Quoting [correspondent name snipped]:

> Are you going to be at the Cow Place this weekend?

No.  But:

> Is it to late to ask for HELP.

Fortunately, it's always time to ask for help.  ;->  We're holding our
CABAL meetings on (as always) the 2nd and 4th Saturdays, so the next one
is...

rick at guido:~$ cal
     April 2004
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
             1  2  3
 4  5  6  7  8  9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30

rick at guido:~$

Hmm, looks like the 24th.

> I just read your calendar and it doesn't include April.

Thanks, fixed!

You can always also check BALE at http://linuxmafia.com/bale/ .  It's
automated, so it has current dates even when I forget to fix the CABAL
Web pages.

> I have a Compaq Armada 1750 laptop and would like to install Linux .
> I have a boxed set of Madrake 8.1 and Star Office 5.2 that I would
> like to install.  If you have something better or easier to install
> its OK with me.

Hmm, since Mandrake 10.0 is out, I'll make sure to download it for you,
over the next few days.  It's on several CD-ROMs, so it takes quite a
long time to fetch.  (I'm assuming you want Mandrake.  If you want
something else, please speak up.  We don't care which distribution you
want; we'll help you with any of them, or any of the BSDs.)

Although Star Office 5.2 is pretty outdated itself, it's worth keeping
around if only because of the excellent fonts and clipart collections on
the CD.  You'll find that the office suite OpenOffice.org 1.1.x, which
comes with all current Linux distributions, is much more satisfactory
otherwise.

To explain, after Sun Microsystems bought the Star Office suite, they
open-sourced as much of it as they legally could.  The result is a suite
derived from Star Office 5.2 called OpenOffice.org .  In turn, Sun has
based all subsequent releases of Star Office on the OpenOffice.org
codebase, much as AOL/Netscape now bases all releases of Netscape
Communicator on the open-source Mozilla Communicator Web browser.

Star Office 6.0 was derived from OpenOffice.org 1.0
Star Office 7.0 was derived from OpenOffice.org 1.1.

> I have looked up on the NET a few help files for installing on the
> Armada 1750 and it way over my head and I need help.

No problem!  We'll be glad to assist you, if you can make it on the
24th.

Looks like http://utopia.ision.nl/users/mathijs/armada1750.html is a
relevant Web page.  The only significant headache looks to be the
winmodem, and I'll make no promises about that.

----- End forwarded message -----