[conspire] disk imaging programs

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 26 19:01:35 PST 2003

Quoting Sean Wolfe-Justice (mailjones at mouseandfrog.org):

[g4u:]

> But here's the thing. After wrestling with it, now I'm getting wildly
> varying FTP transfer rates -- over my own LAN! I mean, the transfer
> rate goes from 800 KB/sec to 36 KB/sec in a few seconds -- I even went
> so far as to connect the two machines with a crossover cable to make
> sure my LAN wasn't bogging them down.
>
> When it comes to 18 GB hard drive images, even 800 KB/sec takes a
> while.  Any idea why an FTP transfer over a quiet LAN connection would
> be so erratic?

Not any fault of yours, personally, but you haven't given us much to
work with.  Could be nameservice:  Do you have matching forward and
reverse DNS?  Could be just some inefficiency in whatever code g4u uses
for network transport.

> BTW, Knoppix is freaking cool. I had played with it previously, and
> tried it again today. And what's this I hear about Morphix? I gotta
> check that out too. Just like Jack Nicholson said, "Where does he get
> such wonderful toys?"  8^)

Yes.  Morphix is basically Knoppix rearranged to be more easily
reconfigurable / rebuildable.

--
Cheers,      "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first
Rick Moen     woman she meets, and then teams up with three complete strangers