[conspire] disk imaging programs

Nick Jennings nkj at iaminsane.com
Tue Mar 25 17:37:18 PST 2003

Have you tried using 'dd'? Just make a boot floppy, like tomsrtbt and
boot off it. Assuming you have the disk you'd like to create the image
from and the disk you'd like to put the image on, in the same system,
you can just use dd to write, sector by sector, the disk image.

For instance if you have a working linux system on /dev/hda, and a blank
hard drive of the same side as /dev/hdb, after booting off the floppy
(so that none of the disks are in use) you can do a:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

(if = input file/device)
(of = ouput file/device)

WARNING: you could wipe out everything if you do this wrong.

- Nick