[conspire] RFC: A new LUG for the peninsula?

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Jun 18 21:15:21 PDT 2003

I spend most of my days at Oracle in Redwood Shores, and there are a
lot of Oracle people who are very much interested in Linux due to
Oracle's "Unbreakable Linux" campaign.  But most of the people I've
talked to don't want to attend BayLISA, SVLUG, BALUG, or EBLUG due to
the distance involved.  In these discussions it has become apparent to
me that there may be a need for a peninsula-based LUG.

Further, as a member of the SVLUG speakers mailing list I was
surprised to find that we have booked speakers all the way through
November of this year.  Speakers who would like to give a presentation
before then have a limited number of venues where they can give their
talks.

But I want to make it very clear on one point: it is not my point to
fragment or compete with any of the other bay area groups in any way.
I think there's a big geographical untapped audience in the Peninsula
of people who don't attend those groups due to the distance, and an
interest in having a local group.

So I'm writing to find out what people think of this idea.  I am
hoping to have the meetings at the Oracle campus, which is right near
highway 101 and the Caltrain.  I haven't made any firm plans for the
day/time of the meeting, and would be interested in input on that
point.

So - are you interested in this?  Would you like to attend a LUG in
Redwood Shores?  Would you like to help organize it?  Would you like
to speak at one of its meetings?  Any advice or opinions about how it
should be done?  Or do you hate the idea?

Please write and let me know what you think.  Thanks!

--Bill.