[conspire] Last Year's Supercomputer

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Jun 8 12:05:41 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 09:05:50AM -0700, Mark S Bilk wrote:

> $100 AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU 1.93GHz, 266Mhz bus,

I've got a XP 1800+ and a P4 2.4 sitting right next to each other with
otherwise the same hardware (well, the P4 has an extra 80GB drive).  I'm
amazed how much more heat the Athlon produces.  Just something to think
about.

I think I read the newer Athlons produce less heat, but I don't
have any references for that -- so something you might look up if you
care about such things.

I've been using Zalman Flower CPU coolers.  I'm really trying to
cut down on noise.

I'm also interested in trying the VIA C3 (I think Fry's
has $200 VIA C3 systems) and set up diskless with LTSP just for fun.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org