[conspire] Last Year's Supercomputer

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Jun 8 11:55:29 PDT 2003

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 09:05  AM, Mark S Bilk wrote:

> Seduced by the Friday Fry's ad, I'm planning to spend
> my last $300 on upgrading my pentium 133MHz/64MB computer,

Personally, I recently had to go through this when a failing
motherboard and a chattering NIC made all our lives hell.

I decided to opt for a full-system replacement, which included:

Spiffy FIC barebones system -- see
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-
Details.asp?sku=F451-4010

P4 (though, had I really been paying attention, I could have gotten a
cheaper, and cooler, Celeron)

Ram (I opted for 256MB because I don't use it as a desktop system and
that's really the smallest they had).

Total price was a hair higher, but I got a very cute little system that
had replaced every possible failing component in one fell swoop (we'd
separately determined the SCSI card was OK). So far, even though I was
worried about heat, it has worked like a champ. Ideally, I'd like a
significantly shorter SCSI cable to allow better airflow.

I got it all at Fry's. Oh, and it has a blue light and transparent
sides, so it acts as a night light.

--
_Deirdre                                             http://deirdre.net
"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite.