[conspire] Anyone have SuSE 8.2 Pro and want to make me a copy?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jun 7 11:02:29 PDT 2003

Quoting Mark S Bilk (mark at cosmicpenguin.com):

> SuSE is totally OK with this; I phoned their U.S. office at
> (510)-628-3380 and the guy there said he's asked the higher-ups
> several times and they say it's perfectly OK to copy any or
> all of the disks in the 8.2 Pro box or below (but not in the
> commercial server sets) and give them away, as long as it's
> not for money.  (However, there is no restriction regarding
> lunch. 8^)

Mark, I _believe you_ that the Oakland office said this.  The problem is
that they don't have those rights, because of the many restricted
third-party codebases in SuSE Pro that are licensed on a per-seat basis
and which SuSE Linux AG sells only as agent for the copyright holders
concerned.

In other words, getting SuSE Linux AG's permission _doesn't suffice_,
because they cannot speak for those copyright holders.  (They shouldn't
be telling people it's OK; they could get those people really upset at
them and at their customers.)

The matter keeps coming up because SuSE Linux AG's staff keep giving
people bad advice on the matter, contradicting both obvious concerns of
property law (How can they give permission to duplicate freely, for
codebases concerning which they don't have that right, themselves?) and
their own legal notices on their ftp site.

Here's the conversation that came up, about that, on the Irish Linux
User Group mailing list: