[conspire] Samba Blues...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 6 15:28:41 PST 2003

Quoting Jose Sanchez (jose_sanchez79 at yahoo.com):

> Hello. I am setting up a windows machine so it can browse to my linux
> file server. I can see my lfs from Windows Network Neighborhood with
> no problem which by double-clicking on the Windows NN icon prompts me
> to give a user name and password. I have users setup on the lfs but
> when I try any of the IDs I get rejected even root.

Ah, a Samba setup problem.  Did you remember to populate the Samba
password database for all users?

# smbpasswd -a username

I'm not really good at Samba troubleshooting, especially at a distance.
You might have some luck with:

The permissions on the shared folder are
> set to rwx for all specified logins in the smb.conf
> file.

That would be relevant to browse rights, but according to your account,
you're not able to login, so you didn't reach that issue.

Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."
rick at linuxmafia.com                  Kaczinski Christmas.
               --  Unabomber Haiku Contest, CyberLaw mailing list