[conspire] Samba Blues...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jan 6 15:28:41 PST 2003

Quoting Jose Sanchez (jose_sanchez79 at yahoo.com):

> Hello. I am setting up a windows machine so it can browse to my linux
> file server. I can see my lfs from Windows Network Neighborhood with
> no problem which by double-clicking on the Windows NN icon prompts me
> to give a user name and password. I have users setup on the lfs but
> when I try any of the IDs I get rejected even root.

Ah, a Samba setup problem.  Did you remember to populate the Samba
password database for all users?

# smbpasswd -a username

I'm not really good at Samba troubleshooting, especially at a distance.
You might have some luck with:

ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/customers/samba/SAMBA_Troubleshooting.rtf
http://us6.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/Samba24Hc13.pdf
http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html

The permissions on the shared folder are
> set to rwx for all specified logins in the smb.conf
> file.

That would be relevant to browse rights, but according to your account,
you're not able to login, so you didn't reach that issue.

--
Cheers,                              "Open your present...."
Rick Moen                            "No, you open your present...."