[conspire] Resizing NTFS

Edmund J. Biow biow at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 22 12:20:17 PDT 2002

Reportedly the newly released the Debian-based Xandros distribution (nee
Corel) includes the option to non-destructively repartition NTFS with a
"disk druid like utility."
http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10/21/1749230.shtml?tid=23
I have no idea what the license status of the utility is.  There is
apparently a mix of GPL and proprietary software on the single CD.  Nor
do I know whether the ute will make a hash of your Windows partition.

Unfortunately, there are no free-as-in-beer downloads and the distro
runs $100.  Jeez, I bought Corel Linux for only $25, complete with
manual & stuffed penguin doll.

Xandros comes with some other interesting features.  There is Crossover
Office, which enables you to install Windows programs (again, not a
free-as-in-WINE program).  Xandros also apparently has a Windows-like
Control Center that allows you to easily adjust display settings
(sometimes I want more flexibility than Ctrl+Alt+'+'). And you can
switch users in the GUI from the launch menu.  For a newbie oaf like
myself, flailing about trying to make the transition to Linux it sounds
pretty tempting.