Problem: Preprinted cheques available through banks (almost always fed by the banks to Deluxe Corporation) seem suspiciously like sweetheart contracts and customer rip-offs, so it seems natural to see if one can do better by ordering independently. (I did not get around to reseaching whether these firms differ greatly in shipping fees.)
Rock-bottom price levels achievable might be estimated via those offered (only) to Costco members by H.B.F.: at October 2006, $18.30 ($2.29/hundred) for four 200-cheque boxes, $9.15 for two 200-cheque boxes.
Prices quoted below are for the apparently plainest designs (often "Blue Safety Checks"), and attempt to reflect non-sale pricing. Special and introductory offers are noted but not included in calculations. Except if indicated otherwise, prices are as observed in October 2006.
- Online Organizing index category covering this business segment.
- 4Checks. Search engine (and kickback / customer-tracking engine?).
- Deluxe Corporation: Available only if they're a vendor for your bank. (They verify your account information.) Pricing is available only from the bank. Turns out, US Bank is underwriting my cheques (printed and shipped at no cost to me), provided I order them one box at a time (which I just did, on 2006-10-02). Reordered 2007-04-18, one box, 3rd class bulk USPS delivery. Reordered again, 2008-12-11, one box. Order telephone line: 1-877-838-5287.
- Walmart Financial Services: $23.84 ($2.48/hundred) for four 240-cheque boxes, $17.88 for three 240-cheque boxes, $11.92 for two 240-cheque boxes. Appears to be one's best non-membership price -- if you don't mind dealing with Walmart.
- CheckWorks: $27.80 ($3.48/hundred) for four 200-cheque boxes, $15.90 for two 200-cheque boxes, $7.95 for one 200-cheque box.
- Clarke American: Personal cheques provided only if they're a vendor for your back. (They verify your account information.)
- Artistic Checks: $29.90 ($9.97/hundred) for two 150-cheque boxes. Half off for first-time customers.
- Check Gallery: $13.95 ($9.30/hundred) for one 150-cheque box. Discounts for first-time customers.
- Image Checks: $21.90 ($7.30/hundred) for two 150-cheque boxes.
- Styles Checks: $42.95 ($7.00/hundred) for four 150-cheque boxes, $35.95 for three 150-cheque boxes, $25.95 for two 150-cheque boxes, $13.95 for one 150-cheque box.
Novelty outfit offering cheques promoting social issues.
- Checks In The Mail: $31.96 ($5.33/hundred) for four 150-cheque boxes, $15.98 for two 150-cheque boxses.
- 1-2-3 Checks: $26.99 ($4.50/hundred) for four 150-cheque boxes, $15.99 for two 150-cheque boxes, $7.95 for one 150-cheque box. Prices are for "featured" styles. Specials throw in an additional box for $1.99 extra, e.g., $20.98 + $1.99 = $22.97 ($5.10/hundred) for three 150-cheque boxes.
- Bank A Count: Described as "offers a no-frills personal check and coupon-book printing", but unfortunately they'll do personal cheques only through financial institutions.
- Compuchecks: Business forms only.
- Designer Checks: $36.80 for four Discounts for new customers (Offer Code JL35). However, these dumb clucks don't seem to want to reveal how many cheques per box. Note that this is the same firm as "Checks Unlimited".
- Checks Unlimited: $36.80 for four Discounts for new customers (Offer Code JL35). However, these dumb clucks don't seem to want to reveal how many cheques per box. Note that this is the same firm as "Designer Checks".
- Ei Printing (Checksforless): claimed to have the lowest prices, but it appears to serve business-type customers only.
- Unique Checks: Outfit that puts your photo on your cheques, etc.
- Cool Checks: Mail-order retailer representing several cheque companies for cheque-ordering, and also offering mailing labels, business forms, and other such things.