Subject: Selected questions and answers from the chat (contains WH spoilers) Re: Log of Robert Jordan's chat tonight!

From: "John Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:49:24 -0700

"LadyJ" <[email-masked]> wrote in message
news:[email-masked]...
>
> I logged tonight's chat and edited out the joins and parts. I also
> saved some of the funnier snippets from before and after the chat.
> Check it out at http://www.ladyj.net/WOT/

I'm going to one-up you here and just paste in the questions and answers
that I thought were intriguing. There are some spoilers ahead, so beware.

That should be enough. Here they are, typos and all, with some commentary by
me.

Once again, the chat was pretty much a waste of time. There were a few good
questions, but most of them were the same things we hear all the time (How
long have you known what's going, how many more books, what background
information, etc.)

Question  : Mr.Jordan, since Gaidal Cain has been born only recently in the
WOT universe, how is it that he will grow old enough to fight in the
upcoming battle (Tarmon gaidon)? it will take at least 15 years for him to
grow big enough to fight. and what about the other heroes? will the also be
reborn, or will they remain to be recalled only by the horn?

 RJ: Who says that what Gaidal has been reborn to do is to fight the last
battle? There is more to do to keep the Pattern on course than the last
battle.

Me: This doesn't rule out Olver being Gaidal, if anything it gives a bit
more circumstantial evidence. I think that there's enough evidence in WH to
at least bolster this theory more.

Question: There's a suggestion in the books that Lanfear was believed to be
as strong as any female channeler could ever become. What was the reason for
that belief?

 RJ: Read and find out!

Me: Personally I think that Lanfear's comment is due to a bit of
meglomania--not only that, but I think that RJ may have just positively
confirmed Cyndane=Lanfear (not that anyone should've needed extra convincing
after Winter's Heart).

Question: If an Aes Sedai links with other Aes Sedai, will or can the others
then sense if she is bonded? Also, can an Aes Sedai (at least as far as the
Tower knows) 'unbond' a Warder? Its been suggested that they will set a man
free/release him if he really wants to leave, but does that mean 'unbond'
him or simply 'not pursue' him and release him from whatever oaths he's
sworn as a Warder?

RJ: No. They can't sense it I think you may be thinking about an adaption of
bonds.

RJ managed to not answer the second part of the question about "unbonding",
but I thought that the rest of the question is very interesting. That would
mean that Rand can't feel Ihvon throughAlanna, and that Alanna can't feel
Min, Elayne and Avi.

Question : Mr. Jordan, When ever a channeler draws on the OP, does he\she
become temporarily outside the Wheel's control? I ask this because min's
viewings of aes sedai get fuzzy whenever they draw on the Power and in LOC
egwene avoids rand's taveren effect by drawing on saidar.

RJ: Read and find out!

This was a particularly good question, and the second one from this person.
I'm wondering if he didn't hit the nose on the head with this question
judging by RJ's response.

Question : In WH, Lews Therin says "We are not builders, not you, or I, or
the other one." Now I know if I ask who the other one is, i know I'll just
get a RAFO, but should we be able to figure out who the 'other one' is?

RJ:You should have some hints. Follow your hunches.

Well, that settles it--it's a former Dragon.

Question : Nobody who can channel saidin or saidar can sense the True Power.
And, since the Forsaken don't seem to notice Moridin channeling the True
Power, is it detectable at all (besides by a gholam)? IE-can someone already
holding the True Power sense another using it?

RJ:No. Not by any method we've seen yet

I thought that this was by far the most interesting question of the night,
and the fact that it didn't get a RAFO surprise me. All sorts of interesting
surprises spring up from this.

A.)If True Power users can't detect each other, then One Power users can't
detect True Power users.

B.)If One Power users can't detect TP users, then objects (ter'angeal)
designed to detect OP won't work on TP users.

C.)If objects designed to stop OP users (i.e. steddings, or the
triangulation device in Far Madding) can detect OP usage and block it, it's
possible that they can't detect and block TP users

D.)Assuming all of the above, then it's quite possible that the person that
Rand bumped into in Far Madding, is indeed, Sammael, using the TP.

Question:Are Dreaming and dreamwalking essentially just different names for
the same Talent, or are they separate Talents that often occur together? The
illustrated guide seemed to confuse the issue somewhat.

 RJ: No.They're verty different. A dreamwalker can enter draems, But a dream
only "understands" dreams, though Dreamwakers are generally Dreamers too.

This made me wonder if Luc/Isam has any Dreamer or Dreamwalking abilities
based on his familiarity with T'A'R. If so, it would make him even more
dangerous as an assasin.

--
John Johnson