Subject: Re: The Forsaken: Where are they now? (PoD)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 05:01:36 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
> "Patrick Cotrona" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> >
> >Quoth C. Adam Kuhn:
> >
> >[snip]
> >> >Semirhage: ???
> >>
> >> Personally, I think she's Sheriam's tormentor in Salidar/Murandy.
> >> The description of her torture jives with the way Semirhage
> >> tortured the other sister (forgotten the name... starts with a C).
> >
> >I don't think they could be any more different.  Cabriana was
> >tortured by manipulating the pain and pleasure centers in her
> >brain; Sheriam was apparently beaten, as she was left with welts.
> >
> >Besides, I thought we had placed her with the Seanchan.
>
> I meant the whole "the clothes exploded off her like a pricked
> bubble."  This particular maneuver is unique to two situations
> - the tortures of Sheriam and Cabriana.  I know it's a small thing
> to go on, but RJ often plants clues in the tiniest detail.
>
Is it the only time we see the OP to dispose of clothing?  For some
reason I keep thinking there is another.

Also Moiraine's disposal of Merean comes to mind as well oddly enough.

Semirhage's method is similar but not exactly the same, imo.
Also nakedness as an intimidation factor when questioning a fellow
AS seems to be a common practice.  Siuan and Leane were naked after
being questioned and stilled.

> Also, Semirhage had plenty of time to torment Cabriana, but anyone
> could have walked in on her with Sheriam.
>
But this seems to be more of an argument against Semirhage doesn't
it? The whole naked beating thing.  After all anyone walking in
and the gig is up.  Whereas if Semirhage was the questioner and
followed her questioning ways seen with Cabriana, a casual but sudden
observer could be none the wiser.

Also if memory serves, Sheriam's questioning took a rather long time.
It also resulted in physical evidence.  Both something a Forsaken
who wishes to remain secret (and secret in activities as well) would
wish to avoid.

The fact that Semirhage has to question Cabriana as to the where/What/
Why/When/Who of Salidar etc. apparently, seems to effectively rule
out her presence in Salidar prior to the scene in LOC.  So why send her
there now when the DO has Halima and at least one BA to do the
Shadow's work.  That would mean pulling Semirhage away from that charge
for a rather longer time than just squeezing an AS for info.

But I do agree that RJ gives away a nice little hint or two.
The fact that Sheriam's questioning falls neatly into the parameters
of what we have seen concerning not only Siuan and Leane's treatment
(from those two as well as bits from povs of both Elaida and Galina)
but also from the outline that Adeleas or Vandene lays down in custom
and rule in questioning someone; seems to point to not only her
questioner not being a Forsaken. But not being a member of the BA
either.

---
JSH

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.