Subject: Why Sheriam is not BA

From: "Scarab" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:34:03 -0500

I read in the FAQ different reasons why Sheriam might be Black Ajah, most
notably because of her tormentor in tPoD. I am assuming that the logic there
is that such scenes of violence and beatings are usually reserved for those
in which darkfriends and/or whitecloaks are involved.  Thus, we come upon
the scene and immediately assume darkfriends (ie BA) are involved, however
bad that logic is.  And indeed, Sheriam's tormentor could be black.  BUT
Sheriam is not. Here's why:

Sheriam is still bound by the three Oaths, particularly the "no-lies" oath,
which we know Black Ajah are definitely free of. Thus, the logic is that if
a sister can be found (by whatever means) to be still under the Three Oaths
they cannot be Black. Reference Sheriam's swearing fealty to Egwene first,
and Sheriam's following it later. However, this is not conclusive since the
fealty swearing and Sheriam's actions concerning it occur off-scene.
However, we do know that Sheriam cannot lie. In [ACOS, The Figurehead,
pp.162-163] Sheriam is forced to tell Egwene the truth about the sisters
sent back to the Tower as "ferrets." Had Sheriam not been under the Oaths,
then she could have simply said "I have no idea about those sisters leaving.
If indeed any did, somone else must have sent them."  But since she could
not lie, and Egwene forced her not to evade or escape the oath by omission,
then Sheriam had to tell Egwene about the ferrets.   Thus, she is still
under the Three Oaths, meaning she cannot be BA.

It is also interesting that the REASON Sheriam and her coterie hid this
information from the Hall was the fear of Sitters being Black Ajah.  This
re-inforces the assertion that they, including and especially Sheriam when
the scene above is considered, are not BA.

Thus, the logic says that Sheriam is not and cannot be Black Ajah. Whether
her torturer is or is not is another discussion entirely.

If so, it can only be Delana if it is a Sitter as Sheriam indicates. I
theorize that Delana is the only Black Sitter in Salidar, simply because she
is the only one that Halima seems to be ordering around and forcing to be
"wishy-washy."  If there were more Black Sitters, Delana would not have to
act so. The Blacks would be able to lead a concerted effort in the Salidar
Hall, as they seem to do in the Tower. Of course, who is Black in Salidar is
a whole other can of worms, too.