Subject: Re: On rereading Lord of Chaos

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:11:08 GMT

[email-masked] wrote:
> Neil Anderson wrote:

<snip intro>
> >
> > Enough already.  One thing that jumped out at me was
> > the description of Anaiya's comforting of Egwene before
> > she goes before the Hall to be raised as Amyrlin (Ch. 35,
> > 'In the Hall of the Sitters', p 472.)
> >
> > "Anaiya stroked Egwene's hair soothingly.  "It will go well,
> > child".
> >
> > Now a) the stroking of hair is very similar to what
> > Sheriam's mystery attacker does to her in PoD and b0
> > she clearly thinks of Egwene as a "child", again similar
> > to the reference to "what the girl is doing" that
> > Sheriam's unwelcome visitor makes.
>
> This is a good observation, but Sheriam'a attacker was
> able to outstrip Sheriam in the OP and easily overpower
> her. Sheriam is the next rank below Moiraine/Elaida/Lelaine.

Slight nitpick.  Sheriam is the strongest of the Salidar Six;
followed by Myrelle and then the other four (including Anaiya).
Has no real bearing on Rich's point but it is not clear that
there is no sister who surpasses Sheriam in the rebel camp but
still stands below Lelaine and Romanda.

>I don't think Anaiya is.

No Anaiya stands below Myrelle who is ranked after Sheriam.
And Sheriam seems to be stronger by a clear margin.  All six
seem to be rather strong (which may indeed make Rich's statement
above true); a factor in letting these particular Six take charge
no doubt.

> The other thing that _Lelaine_ likes to stroke Egwene's hair,
> as well as Suian's hair.

Also Anaiya and Lelaine are hardly the only sisters in Salidar
to look at Egwene and see a 'girl'.  Egwene herself reflects
on this more than once before she takes charge (and even after
>from  her thoughts as they gate to Tar Valon).

Another reason that Anaiya is not the questioner in my eyes,
is the fact that sworn to Egwene Anaiya actually is almost
(if not) as involved in Egwene's plans.  As fellow Blues and
friends caught in the same net by Egwene in the matter of the
spies sent to the Tower, I doubt there is much more Sheriam
is aware of.  Even in terms of what Anaiya might suspect her of
knowing.

I still suspect Anaiya is BA though (shaddup Rich!).

---
JSH

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.