Subject: Re: Virginia Signing

From: [email-masked] (Rachel K. Warren)
Date: 23 Nov 1998 01:15:56 GMT

John S. Novak, III ([email-masked]) wrote:

> Jordan began with a reading, which was fairly short.  He read the
> first few pages from chapter one of tPoD.  I think I'm happier
> narrating them in my own internal voice.

A few of us grumbled that he could have at least read something with
character names in them.  When I was in line the first time, we were
all debating how exactly to say the names, even though the earlier
books have a way of saying them.

> I will make one comment about Mr. Jordan:  he
> seems like a very nice man. 

No kidding.  I had written my name messily for the personalized signing,
and he apologized to me for not seeing it correctly. 

> Here's what I learned:

> Balefire:  I'm right.  (This was my question)  What this means is, if
> someone is Balefire, the Dark One can't reincarnate them.  But they
> CAN be spun back out into the wheel as normal.  Balefire is NOT the
> eternal death of the soul.  He also made a comment to the effect that
> even in the absence of balefire, there may be circumstances where the
> Dark One cannot bring someone back.  There was a long line, so I
> didn't press.

So I guess it comes down to that can't obliterate the soul, eh?

> Moiraine lost her list sometime between NS and tEotW. 

Someone else has already commented on this, but this sounds really wierd
of Morriane, who doesn't seem to be a person who would lose stuff, unless
running away from trollocs or something.

> On the subject of a story set in the Age of Legends, most probably
> not.  The Age of Legends was entirely too boring to write about, up
> until the time it became too interesting.  And at that point, it
> became too gloomy because it was a long, drawn out apocalypse.

I'd like to see some story or info about how AoL lasted or the first
couple of decades of the AoL.  I won't get it, but I can always dream. ;-)

> Asmodean is, and I quote, road-kill.  And he still claims there are
> many indirect clues from tFoH on about who killed him.  He also claims
> that very, very few of the fan letters he gets are correct about it.

Too bad nobody asked what was the most frequent answer. :)

> Will more heroes be bound to the Horn?  RAFO.

Unless more than one person ask that question, it was the person who was in 
front of me, James (I was the blonde with the red sweater and black pants).  
Because i didn't bring my list of questions and I was really nervous, I asked 
the only question I could think of offhand:  Would Birgitte know english?  
Jordan said something to the fact that she would if she remembered it.  I 
guess Birgitte is a really old soul.  :-)

> (RAFO sometimes means that he intends to reveal it later.  Sometimes
> it means that an answer is not consequential, but it's logical
> implications ARE consequential.)

I also found it amusing that they gave out flyers describing RAFO.  I still
have it. :)

> Does the Snakes and Foxes game played in the Two Rivers have anything
> to do with the 'finn?  RAFO.  (My answer:  Duh?)

Alot of people I talked to in line had never read the FAQ, nor the 
newsgroup.  I found that amazing.

Another thing I found amusing was that a woman behind me talked about how
she lives where RJ originates (Charlestown?).  He supposedly takes his 
bicycle around town, waving at people and ringing the bell on his bike.

A bunch of us in line also debated whether Rand was nuts.  Most of the
females said he was nuts [including me] and most of the guys said he
was paranoid with good reason -- "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean
they aren't after me".

Another amusing remark when someone said something to the fact that RJ was
dragging the books out and that he could easily end the books by Rand picking
up most of the important main characters (Nyn, Egwene, Mat, etc), pick up
the big ass sa'angreals, then go to Shayol Ghoul<sp> and beat the crap
out of the Dark One.  The most amusing part was when the person said that
the creator (or Rand, can't remember which) would smack Mat and Nynaeve in
the process for being such annoying characters.  (Before the Nyn Defense
league tries to hurt me with the tugging braid, I'm just the messenger,
don't hurt me :-)

I had alot of fun, especially since it was my first signing for any author.
Next time I'll get their alot earlier and come prepared with my questions,
so I can give them out to the other people I talk to in line. ;-)

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rachel K. Warren   [email-masked]   http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/homes/warrenrk/
            "Her modem lights are on but there's no carrier."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=