Subject: [TAG] Re: [Lgang] Issue 100 schedule

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:43:13 -0500

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:06:08AM -0800, Heather wrote:
> 
> Jim is working on some revision and cleanup to his article;  intends to
> send it directly to Ben as soon as he's happy with it.  Ben, FYI.
 
Not yet received - thanks for the heads-up. (Cc'ing Jim -
<[email-masked]> is the ticket, yes?)

> Thomas did his two articles, but if he submitted them I don't know.
> (Hope so.) He also completed Mike's backpage.
 
Don't have the articles, the backpage URL he gave me -

http://linuxmafia.com/n6tadam/lg/backpage.html.gz

doesn't work (fails at "n6tadam"). I've emailed him about it, but if you
know the right coordinates, Scotty, feel free to beam them over. :)

> Thomas' thread splitter is great stuff :) 

Cool! Seems like the new system is making life easier for everybody. I'm
quite pleased with SVN, myself.

> Meanwhile, I have been merging deferred Tips and marking up current
> Tips. We have 16.  Umm... I regret to say we should have 5 more than we
> do :(  I appear to have been clumsy with the other 5 tips from last time,
> and we can't find em anywhere*.  Jim will tell you I *really* hate losing
> stuff, and the smaller, the more annoying.  Damn it's frustrating.
 
Sorry to hear that. They'll probably turn up in a drawer somewhere, if
they haven't yet turned into coat hangers or paper clips or old keys
that don't fit anything (it's the standard hatching cycle for aliens
that come to Earth in spore form; that's why you always find those
things. There's also the variety that goes through a "mens underwear"
stage and implants a "never throw away" directive in the mind of the
drawer owner.)

> Unfortunately real life invades, plus we have a solemn oath not to push
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Funny that you should put it that way, in light of the above... quick,
are you the real Heather or are you F'zziZZ Nag'ralykkk from Pluto, and
what have you done with the real Heather in the latter case?

> ourselves into burnout - we do sleep when exhausted.  

Well done to both of you.

> Thomas' kit of
> parts has been submitted to me so I can run it by lgazmail, and I have
> so far checked 9 of the 16 tips past my script for markup safety.

Sounds right on schedule to me. My mental image of the process has it
culminating Tuesday evening, sometime before midnight EST. (Everybody
relevant, feel free to sound off WRT this deadline.)

> My only plan is a replacement picture for the current word "linux
> gazette" - a picture to be exactly the same size, because I didn't feel
> inclined to poke around the front page code and decide what size
> parameters I could get away with.  But my big bootifl monitor is still
> an unhappy camper, so I have to work on it from vega (jim's station).
> Columns first.  Pic if it fits.  If y'all want me to make *sure* it's in,
> do please lemme know, I don't mind burning a little extra midnight oil
> for that. :D
 
Well, it _is_ issue 100, and a new logo would be a major-league Good
Thing from my perspective - but I'll leave to your own sense of
welness/sleep/sheduling arrangements. Sure would be nice if you could
fit it in, though.

> Jim expressed that with the habit we're making of one-week-late maybe
> we should make that official release policy...

Either that or start the cycle a week earlier. You've mentioned having
your social, etc. schedules already tweaked to allow the space for it
where it is; if anyone else has a strong preference, speak now or
forever hold your piss; we are in RFC status on this question.

> Not for pubs, but I thought everyone would like to know -- Thomas sure
> seems to be in muuuuuuch better condition; he hasn't fainted in weeks,
> he's eating well, with my help has successfully fended off another
> migraine (yay!), and his dreams while still a bit ... odd ... have not
> returned to the awful things that wracked him before (immeasurably a Good
> Thing^tm).  He also seems to be doing fine in Uni.  I think he's decided
> this "sleep" thingy is a feature, now that he's actually getting some.
> Thanks ever so much to everyone for thinking good thoughts for him.
 
[happy grin] Good lad, him. And a good angel of mercy, you. I'm glad to
hear it.

> Since I had mentioned in a past Gazette Matters that he was ill, I
> guess I should tell the gentle readers he's well again too, leaving the
> details out.  Hope things are going okay for Rob.
 
Yup, on all of the above. Rob, are you here? Sound off if you are,
laddie; I'm sure that Heather and I aren't the only ones wishing you and
your family good things, and would like to hear back.

> In prospects for next month, it appears my hanging out in #hants is
> netting us at least a couple articles, and maybe they'll even both be 
> done in time for next month's deadline.  

Hey, good stuff! We do need fresh blood on occasion; Quetzalcoatl,
Tlaloc, and Tezcatlipoca get a little anxious if their altars aren't
refreshed regularly. Ah, now *those* are gods after my own heart...

* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *
-*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: <http://linuxgazette.net/> -*-
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Breen Mullins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:55:04 -0800

> refreshed regularly. Ah, now *those* are gods after my own heart...

Well, they would be, right? Are you offering yours?

Breen

-- 
Breen Mullins
San Mateo, California

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:23:24 -0500

> Well, they would be, right? Are you offering yours?

Uh-uh. Didn't you ever listen to Tony Bennett? [1] The folks at the Bank
of America Tower charge a steep fee for storage in their vault, but you
know what they say in the business: "better safe than sorry".

[1] For the Philistines among us, the crooner who sang "I Left My Heart
In San Francisco" (which always made me think "wait, wasn't that in New
Orleans? And wasn't it a kidney?", but never mind.)

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Stern)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 07:13:16 -0800

> Orleans? And wasn't it a kidney?", but never mind.)

In "The Last Unicorn":
There comes a time when the sacrifice must be your own liver, and you
must not expect to get it back.

With that, I think I'll stick to white magic, thanks anyway.

-* Heather Stern * [email-masked] * The Answer Gang's Editor Gal *-
   The Linux Gazette (http://www.linuxgazette.net/) is under the LDP
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 14:32:56 -0500

> must not expect to get it back.
 
Eeep! Haven't read that one yet (although I managed to snarf down "Fifth
Elephant" in one pass - boy, *that* can't be good for a diet...), but
I'll let someone else go for that flavor of Ye Old Time Religion. If
asked to volunteer, I shall demur; if proclaimed, I shall abdicate; if
elected, I shall run away.

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:10:28 -0800

> know the right coordinates, Scotty, feel free to beam them over. :)

Although I don't pry into my users' stuff in their home directories, it
seems a very safe bet on general principles that Thomas has merely
muffed a tilde.  And lo!

http://linuxmafia.com/~n6tadam/lg/  

There y'go.

-- 
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh, 
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!
[email-masked]       MuaHaHaHa!" but that would be rude. -- Jim Dennis
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:27:41 -0500

> http://linuxmafia.com/~n6tadam/lg/  

And indeed, so it was; and the bells rang, and the people cheered, and
the angels sang hosannas, hallelujas, and other cool things starting
with "h" (but *not* the one about how you can't bugger the hedgehog. [1]) 

Thomas had already pinged me back, but thanks anyway. A straight line is
always worth something. :)

[1] pTerry strikes again!

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:50:50 -0800

> [1] pTerry strikes again!

The duel will be Cripple Mr Onion at ten paces.

-- 
Cheers,
Rick Moen                      "vi is my shepherd; I shall not font."
[email-masked]                               -- Psalm 0.1 beta
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 22:34:24 -0800

> <[email-masked]> is the ticket, yes?)

 I sent it to the whole gang.  Here it is again.

-- 
Jim Dennis

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:58:02 -0500

>  I sent it to the whole gang.  Here it is again.
 
I'd seen the original, never saw a revised version posted. Thanks!

---

From: Chris Gianakopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:18:02 -0600

Sweet!

Chris G.

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Stern)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:38:24 -0800

> <[email-masked]> is the ticket, yes?)

/me sees it attached later, good. 

> Don't have the articles, the backpage URL he gave me -
 
Says the articles still need to finish being typed, they're done in
terms of content.  With matters of the eve he's not sure he can get it
in by the time he originally expressed.

> know the right coordinates, Scotty, feel free to beam them over. :)

/me adds a ~

> stage and implants a "never throw away" directive in the mind of the
 
*snicker* I predict under the couch, sometime after we get around to
getting one.

> > Unfortunately real life invades, plus we have a solemn oath not to push
 
Oh please. I'm advised on good authority I'm from *outer* space, not one
of the local pads.  And that's said of the real Heather.  Luckily there
are plenty of kindred spirits around.

> Well done to both of you.

:D
 
> relevant, feel free to sound off WRT this deadline.)

tag interim1 (iow, apparently complete, but no blurb yet) and tips
tarballs in my dropzone: http://www.starshine.org/lg/

mumble mutter mailbag grump.

day late and a few tips short, that seems to be my standard schedule.
Stats: 7 tag, 16 tips.

> welness/sleep/sheduling arrangements. Sure would be nice if you could
 
See what I can do this eve :)

> forever hold your piss; we are in RFC status on this question.
 
I could probably move the start point back a little bit, but roll it
back too far and it'll conflict with BayLISA.

> [happy grin] Good lad, him. And a good angel of mercy, you. I'm glad to
 
Heh. Least I could do.

> your family good things, and would like to hear back.

Take as long as you need though, Rob :) 

I'm off to work now, bye folks, see you later...

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 20:04:51 -0500

> *snicker* I predict under the couch, sometime after we get around to
 
S'alright, they're temporally flexible and will wait in an unused corner
of the Multiverse until you do. Under-the-couch space is highly-valued
breeding space, y'know; 6 out of 7 aliens expressed a strong preference,
even after we eliminated the hivemind participant[s].

> are plenty of kindred spirits around.
 
[laugh] Reminds me of a something Phil Foglio showed me at LASFS, a
comic strip he did where a guy is playing silly games for his
girlfriend's amusement; he leans over to the cat and stage-whispers:
"Don't worry, Martian brother! I know you're here to spy on the humans,
but I won't give you away!" The cat's response in the next panel is a
thought bubble with a panicked "OH SHIT, HE KNOWS!"

> tarballs in my dropzone: http://www.starshine.org/lg/
 
I'm assuming that the tips are complete - correct? I've also added
tag_interim1 to the repository and placed a HOLD on it as a backup
measure; *please* let me know if you change any filenames in the process
of finalizing it.

> mumble mutter mailbag grump.

[blink] Yeeeees?

> day late and a few tips short, that seems to be my standard schedule.

But is OK and coming up, yes? Or is part of one of the above?

> See what I can do this eve :)
 
[grin] I'll be here. If I need to, I'll set an hourly alarm; my sleep
buffer is comfortably full.

> back too far and it'll conflict with BayLISA.

No one seems to be expressing any preference the other way, so the
current vote seems to be "antiquo", as the Romans used to say (i.e.,
"keep things the way the were".) We'll start mixing and pouring the
concrete sometime soon - not that we've ever actually _had_ a release
date policy other than "kinda sorta monthly". I think.

---

From: [email-masked] (Heather Stern)
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:51:45 -0800

> thought bubble with a panicked "OH SHIT, HE KNOWS!"
 
eee hehehehee hehee.

> I'm assuming that the tips are complete - correct? 

Yes.

> I've also added
 
No filenames will change. TWDT and lg_answers will gain a blurb.  If you
prefer I can send you the blurb and you can drop it into the hgreeting
block in both places before hitting the button.

> > mumble mutter mailbag grump.
 
Very light on mailbag qualified items this month; I hate it when Wanted
is light, it reduces reader contributions to Tips for the next month.

> But is OK and coming up, yes? Or is part of one of the above?
 
Actually 16 tips is a decent number.  A day late ... um, might be...
yeah, I'm working on it :D

> buffer is comfortably full.
 
Ah. Cool beans.

> "keep things the way the were".) 

I s'pose; as I said, a couple or three days back would be ok.

> We'll start mixing and pouring the

"attempt the first" and "pub with placeholders, then fill in when ready
after warning the mirrors about the expected completion date" have been 
used in the past.

It's been actual monthly - with a couple "Extra!" issues - since I've
been involved, but the early issues were less perfectly timed.

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:40:59 -0500

General note: Lgang is down at the moment. Also, Thomas' articles didn't
work out as he expected, so I'm rolling the pub date forward a day.

...and I'm off to bed, since there's not much point in me staying up any
later.

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:51:45PM -0800, Heather wrote:
> Ben wrote:

I don't have a twiddit yet. You're the one that makes it up, right?
Other than that, yeah, just send me the blurb.

> yeah, I'm working on it :D
 
'K. :)