Subject: Re: [TAG] rhubarb

From: "arthur graves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:58:37 +0000

is there a programme i can get my paws on that will help me build my own web site?

arthur.

ps. the rhubarb season is upon us. get baking.

>From: Ben Okopnik

>Reply-To: The Answer Gang

>To: Arthur Graves

>CC: [email-masked]

>Subject: Re: [TAG] rhubarb

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:37:04 -0500

>Hi, Arthur -

>On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 04:52:56PM -0000, Arthur Graves wrote:

> > i don't have/use linux at present. i've always been (well for the last 5 years

> > anyway) interested in linux and i'd rather use it instead of this microsoft

> > stuff. i am a chef, so i can deal with the rhubarb if you need advice in

> > return...

>[laugh] So the rhubarb comes back to haunt us. Never had rhubarb do that

>before: a greasy pizza eaten too late at night, yes; rhubarb, never.

> > what is a good system to use when one has little computer knowledge but is

> > interested in linux rather than that other stuff.

>My usual way to introduce people to Linux these days is to slip them a

>Knoppix CD. It's got much the same look and feel as Wind0ws... except it

>actually works. :) It also comes with around 2,000 programs, including

>OpenOffice (which looks very similar to MS Office) and lots of other

>goodies. Best of all, there's no installation necessary - although you

>can do so if you decide to later: it runs right from the CD (although

>it's somewhat slow as a result.) You can download the latest ISO image

>that you can burn to a CD from ; do note that

>it's about a 700MB download, so you'll want a fast connection.

>Oh yes - it's also free. :) You can't do much better than that!

> > i have  machine that works a treat, called a Toshiba Tecra. if this helps your

> > answers at all.

>I've run Knoppix on a Tecra previously, and it worked fine; it generally

>does, on a wide range of hardware.

> > it's the crumble that really lifts the more humble rhubarb recipe.

> > many thanks. arthur graves ([email-masked])

>Mmmm. I don't know that I can find any rhubarb in the local markets,

>but I'll keep that filed away for future use. On the other hand, my

>recipe database probably contains a few entries - let's see now...

>------------------------------------------------------------

>ben@Fenrir:~$ recipe rhubarb

>Your query has returned 189 results.

>Would you like to [s]ee the list, [v]iew recipes, or [Q]uit?

>------------------------------------------------------------

>[grin] Yep. Just might be able to scratch something up if I find some.

>* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *

>-*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: -*-

Are you going travelling? Help us to find the 100 best internet cafes in the world. Click here for more details and you could win £250 and a digital camera!
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:02:17 +0000 (GMT)

> --- arthur graves <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>---------------------------------
>

Have a look at: 'bluefish', but this is just an editor. If you're wanting
something like Macromedia's 'DreamWeaver', I do not know of anything that
exists for Linux, if at all.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

____________________________________________________________
Does your mail provider give you a free online calendar? 
Yahoo! does.  Get Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Raj Shekhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:39:48 +0530

> is there a programme i can get my paws on that will help me build my own 

You might want to try out Nvu http://nvu.com/features.html . The screen 
shots look good but the major show stopper is that it is still in beta 
and I have not tried it out personally :( .

Just letting everyone on the TAG list about another HTML editor and 
something to keep an eye on.
-- 
                         \°°/
                         (oo)
+--------------------ooO-- -Ooo---------------------------------+
|Raj Shekhar                 |My home:                          |
|System Administrator        |http://geocities.com/lunatech3007 |
|Media Web India             |My blog:                          |
|http://www.netphotograph.com|http://lunatech.journalspace.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
                       |__|__|
                        || ||
                       ooO Ooo
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:53:49 -0500

> >is there a programme i can get my paws on that will help me build my own 

Well, there's plenty of stuff out there that will help you write the
HTML. However, there's usually quite a lot more to it than that, with
questions that may result in more questions, etc. For example, where are
you planning on hosting this site? Are you going to get a domain name of
your own? Have you planned the structure of the site to accomodate
future expansion? Do you need a server that can do secure transactions
(SSL) so you can do business via the site?

If you just want a one-page "I don't know why I wrote this, but I'm
really cool!" page on Yahoo, it's a very different proposition from
having htp://www.arthurgraves.com where you, e.g., sell your
professional services and restaurant appliances.

> something to keep an eye on.

In the finest tradition of Lindows (their sponsor), the size of the
download - which seems to be nothing more than a little polish on top of
Gecko - is 11MB.

Mozilla's Composer isn't perfect, but it's pretty good for anyone just
starting out and well beyond; seems like it would be plenty for Arthur's
HTML needs.

* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *
-=-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-= <http://linuxgazette.net/> =-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-=-
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Bradley Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:40:54 -0800 (PST)

Mr. Okopnik,

> starting out and well beyond; seems like it would be plenty for Arthur's

There's also Bluefish, which I use - http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/

I use it mostly because it has syntax highlighting and tabbed editing - it's
overkill for me; I still write raw XHTML and CSS markup, and I validate it using
the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/

Brad

=====

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam
http://mail.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:57:38 -0500

> Mr. Okopnik,
 
Hi, Brad -

I appreciate the info, but the one who needs it is the querent - and you
forgot to include him in the recipient list. :) You might want to send him
a copy.

> the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/

For myself, I'm fairly well aware of the different HTML editors
available for Linux, particularly since I've been doing a fair amount of
experimenting with CSS lately. I do almost all of my work in Vim, and
use Composer for quick mock-ups and things like color tweaking.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:03:56 +0000 (GMT)

> use Composer for quick mock-ups and things like color tweaking.

"Vim and a brain is all that is required" -- Thomas Adam (usually put at
the top of all my scripts).

-- Thomas Adam

=====

		
____________________________________________________________
Too much spam in your inbox? Yahoo! Mail gives you the best
spam protection for FREE! http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:22:39 -0500

> the top of all my scripts).

[laugh] "... - Vim optional." I like it muchly.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:06:47 +0000 (GMT)

--- Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> forgot to include him in the recipient list. :) You might want to send
> him a copy.

Sigh, what we gonna do with these 'TAGbies', Ben?....

-- Thomas Adam

=====

	

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:28:20 -0500

> Sigh, what we gonna do with these 'TAGbies', Ben?....

Well, Brad gets _some_ credit - he does have '--polite' turned on, which
counts for a bit - but, yeah, I'm a-thinkin' we should institute a
"ten re-readings of <http://linuxgazette.net/tag/members-faq.html> and
three dozen lashes with a wet noodle" rule for violations by those who
actually subscribe to TAG. Self-policing, dontcha know.

---

From: Bradley Chapman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:38:45 -0800 (PST)

> actually subscribe to TAG. Self-policing, dontcha know.

OH NOES NOT TEH WET NOODLE!!!!1111

;-)

Yeah, I apologize for forgetting the original poster - I made the Cardinal
Assumption Number One: the person was registered on the list.

Should I recompile with --list-address-rules=strict and
--enable-list-warnings=invalid,flamebait,repost,forgotaddr?

Brad

=====

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:21:57 -0500

> OH NOES NOT TEH WET NOODLE!!!!1111
 
Yes indeed, nothing less than The Dreaded Wet Noodle. I mean, we *must*
maintain standards, and if we have to use cruel and unusual punishment,
well, that's the price you pay...

> Assumption Number One: the person was registered on the list.

[grin] Happens to all of us sooner or later, Brad. As long as you stay
aware of the issue, all is cool - someone here will spot it and fix it
(we can always hope, right?)

> --enable-list-warnings=invalid,flamebait,repost,forgotaddr?

The first one is usually sufficient, especially if you have "-Wall"
enabled. :)

---

From: Jason Creighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:24:18 -0700

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:21:57 -0500, 

> well, that's the price you pay...

An added benefit of using The Dreaded Wet Noodle is that if we use it
long enough, it becomes "usual" punishment, and thus we can only be
charged with using "cruel" punishment.

> (we can always hope, right?)

Actually, if you hang around here long enough, you start to wish that
people would stop noticing all your stupid mistakes. :-)

Jason Creighton

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:10:43 -0500

> charged with using "cruel" punishment.
 
It can only be crewel punishment if this thread winds on and on, in the
worsted of TAG tradition.

> people would stop noticing all your stupid mistakes. :-)

[blink] Didn't work with me, I guess. I _want_ the other Gangsters to
spot me - I'd rather be corrected and learn than put out bad info.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:24:25 +0000 (GMT)

> worsted of TAG tradition.

The immediate thread that springs to mind is the 'Great Riffle Caper'[1]
 
> [blink] Didn't work with me, I guess. I _want_ the other Gangsters to
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                        1.
> spot me - I'd rather be corrected and learn than put out bad info.
  ^^^^^^^                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    1.                                                       2.

Having 1. and 2. in the same sentence there, Ben only goes to prove your
own point :)

-- Thomas Adam 

[1] http://linuxgazette.net/issue73/lg_backpage.html#nottag

=====

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:54:30 -0500

> The immediate thread that springs to mind is the 'Great Riffle Caper'[1]
  
[laugh] Oh yeah - thanks for the reminder, Thomas! That was good for a
couple of laughs.

> > [blink] Didn't work with me, I guess. I _want_ the other Gangsters to

Uh... sorry, my friend, too subtle for me. 'Splain, please?

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:06:18 +0000 (GMT)

> Uh... sorry, my friend, too subtle for me. 'Splain, please?

Ah, it was always a long shot, that. Trying to explain it would only lead
to more confusion, heh, a speciality of mine :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====

---

From: Jason Creighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:28:46 -0700

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:10:43 -0500, 

> worsted of TAG tradition.

"crewel"? "worsted"?

> spot me - I'd rather be corrected and learn than put out bad info.

Yes, I agree, but due to my tendency to disagree with almost everything
and/or nitpick for no good reason, many threads end with me realizing
that I've been acting like an idiot. Which gets frustrating after a
while. Not that you guys should calling me on that or anything.

Jason Creighton

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:45:17 +0000 (GMT)

> while. Not that you guys should calling me on that or anything.

Sorry, Jason, but "many threads end with me realizing" really ought to
read "every thread ends with me realizing" :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:07:20 -0500

> > worsted of TAG tradition.
 
Not having a dictionary must really suck...

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Crewel \Crew"el\ (kr[udd]"[e^]l), n. [Perh. for clewel, dim. of
     clew a ball of thread; or cf. D. krul curl, E. curl.
     [root]26.]
     Worsted yarn, slackly twisted, used for embroidery.

That should give you a clew. :)

> while. Not that you guys should calling me on that or anything.

Sheesh, Jason - you're your own toughest critic. Ease up. You're not an
idiot; we all make mistakes. That's why I like the playful air we often
maintain here (and your own sense of humor is a great addition to this):
playing implies being able to make mistakes without serious
consequences, and that's how all us mammals learn best (IMO.) 

So feel free to nitpick away. I'll be sure to tell you if I ever find it
annoying; I trust that you (and anyone else here in a similar situation)
will be equally honest.

   [I'm] trying to figure out how to carry a grudge, but I can't find the
   handles.
    -- Ryk, in a.p.

---

From: Jason Creighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:26:33 -0700

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:07:20 -0500, 

> Not having a dictionary must really suck...

It's ruf, but I manage sumhow.

> That should give you a clew. :)

Heh heh, it does. I should have realized that you were making some
subtle pun that goes right over the heads of poor persons like myself
who do not have a dictionary OR nuclear weapons. (Because if you have
nukes, it doesn't matter if you get the joke. You just smile grimly, say
"that's not funny" and push the Big Red Button.)

> Sheesh, Jason - you're your own toughest critic.

"If I don't degrade myself, who will? Sometimes you have to stand in the
gap!"
                -- Me, tounge in cheek, on being told something similar.

Yeah, I am a little hard on myself. The main thing I'm refering to there
is that I find it hard to admit that I don't have a valid point. So when
someone points this out, I feel the need to argue in circles for a
couple of posts before finally admitting it. 

> Ease up. You're not an idiot; we all make mistakes. That's why I like
> the playful air we often maintain here (and your own sense of humor is
> a great addition to this): playing implies being able to make mistakes
> without serious consequences, and that's how all us mammals learn best
> (IMO.) 

Yes, I enjoy the puns, the wordplay, the stunning sarcasm, etc. It's
great fun. (AND educational? Shock horror!)

> annoying; I trust that you (and anyone else here in a similar situation)

*nods* 

>    [I'm] trying to figure out how to carry a grudge, but I can't find the

Printers don't come with printer cables, and grudges don't come with
handles. However, with a little practice, holding them becomes quite
easy, and the trick is in the letting go.

Jason Creighton

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:44:11 -0500

> "that's not funny" and push the Big Red Button.)
 
It's the Nuclear Rule: he who has the nukes makes the rules. Apt to get
you in trouble with snipers and such, though (I've been whupping some of
the local boat kids playing Halo on their X-Box at the marina. The
sniper rifle can indeed be mightier than the tank. :) Power imbalances
just _beg_ for equalization...

>                 -- Me, tounge in cheek, on being told something similar.
 
Degradation, graceful or otherwise, is only for _testing,_ dear boy. You
do a regression series, then bring the system back to its pre-test state
- not leave it degraded.

(Regression testing failure, in case y'all haven't heard, is the
elephant that Micr0s0ft is currently trying to get the public to
swallow. They released a batch of patches to deal with the latest
"security threats" and several other issues besides; then, they had to
release a larger batch of patches to patch the patches when these things
brought down large numbers of their victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hclients'
machines. Watch for batches of patches to patch the patch-patching
patches in the future, growing logarithmically...)

   In a previous article, [email-masked] said:
   > Unless you count an ellipsis with an extra period, which would be
   > being spectacularly pedantic.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   
   Welcome to Usenet.  Have a nice day.
    -- Paul Tomblin

Welcome to TAG. If you get too annoying, we'll send our resident
logicians, Guido and Luca, to your house to elucidate a few of the finer
points. Guido even has a cousin who's a patella reattachment specialist,
and will leave his card nailed where you're *guaranteed* not to miss it.

> easy, and the trick is in the letting go.

Avoiding that sort of practice is very important, then... I've been
dodging it, and similar things, for most of my life; cleaning off the
residue from when they manage to catch up is a nasty, difficult job. One
worth doing, though.

---

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:53:52 -0500

> and will leave his card nailed where you're *guaranteed* not to miss it.

Which floor does Luca live on?

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email-masked]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:25:44 -0500

> Which floor does Luca live on?

Da basement, o'course. He's a debased individual.

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:41:40 -0800

> Da basement, o'course. He's a debased individual.

You are _so_ fired.

-- 
Cheers,           find / -user your -name base -print | xargs chown us:us
Rick Moen
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:16:25 -0500

> > Da basement, o'course. He's a debased individual.

Now it's my turn to stand there blinking, with an "insufficient
information" neon sign over my head. Is it a movie reference or
something? I've heard it used, and it gets a few points for cute, but -
huh?

---

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:24:37 -0500

> something? I've heard it used, and it gets a few points for cute, but -

I believe he just thought that people who would make puns like that
shouldn't be tolerated in a respectable whorehouse.

:-)

Cheers,
- jra

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:55:26 -0500

> shouldn't be tolerated in a respectable whorehouse.

Oooh, you... you... I couldn't agree more. :)

---

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:52:29 -0500

> Oooh, you... you... I couldn't agree more. :)

Thank you.

Nice to know I can get *something* right today.

Cause, overall, the line up-against-the-wall is growing quickly, and
without bounds.

Cheers,
-- jra

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:38:52 -0500

> Cause, overall, the line up-against-the-wall is growing quickly, and

Cheer up, Jay - that means there's an infinitely small chance that
they'll pick you out.

---

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:34:30 -0500

> Cheer up, Jay - that means there's an infinitely small chance that

You misunderstand.

I was the one with the gun.

Cheers,
-- jra

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:35:13 -0500

> I was the one with the gun.

Oh. Well, what are you complaining about, then? Seems to me like the
perfect entertainment on a nice day like today. Just make sure you have
plenty of those explosive slugs (on sale by the billion at your local
Pentagon) and remember to drag a few of the bodies home (what with the
Atkins diet and all, meat prices have become outrageous!)

---

From: Jason Creighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:04:54 -0700

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:35:13 -0500, 

> Atkins diet and all, meat prices have become outrageous!)

Local Pentagon my eye! There's only one! And the service is horrible!
They always ask you *why* you need large quantities of C4. Avoid if at
all possible.

Jason Creighton

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:42:29 -0500

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:04:54PM -0700, Jason Creighton wrote:
> Local Pentagon my eye! 

That _is_ an odd location for one, yes.

> There's only one! And the service is horrible!

For several different meanings of the word, in fact.

> They always ask you *why* you need large quantities of C4. Avoid if at

Oh, not at all! It's very simple, actually: if you tell them it's for
Freedom, or God, or Apple Pie, or Mother, their eyes glaze and they just
hand it over, as much as you want. Makes you _really_ wonder about their
relationship with Mom, and their apple pie must taste awful...

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:37:11 -0800

Quoting Ben Okopnik ([email-masked]):

> something? I've heard it used, and it gets a few points for cute, but
> - huh?

Now that you've asked, I'm curious, too, and am attempting to chase down
the expression.

I'm betting that one major milestone was its use in an episode of the
short-lived but wonderful television series "The Lone Gunmen",
concerning the luftmenschen-like main characters' enthusiastic but
somewhat hapless office assistant, Jimmy Bond:

Frohike: "Son of a..." [He's tossing files on the floor]

Byers: "Frohike... we've got a deadline here. I need your column ten
minutes ago"

Frohike: "I need the file on the Warren Commission in order to finish
it."

Langly: "Try looking under 'W'."

Frohike: "Oh, you moron." [He finds the file] "He files the Warren
Commission under 'T'  'The Warren Commission'."

Langly: "Ah, cut the guy some slack."

Frohike: "Oh, and look... here's 'The Teapot Dome Scandal', 'The Grassy
Knoll'. I say we fire his ass."

Langly: "You've just got to know how to handle him. Keep it simple.
Like, I asked him to clean my keyboard." [He holds the keyboard up and
water pours onto the floor] "Byers."

Byers: "You're both forgetting it's his life savings keeping us in
print."

Frohike: "I don't care, he's a menace."

Byers: "He believes in our mission. He's got a good heart. And... he's
so happy to be here. If we let him go it will crush him."

Jimmy: "Crush who?" [He enters the office] "Who's going to get crushed?"

Byers: "Jimmy... We've been talking. We're not sure this is the right
place for you."

Jimmy: "What, are you kidding? Working with guys like you, it's a
dream."

Byers: "Jimmy..."

Jimmy: "I've been looking my whole life for something like this. To feel
like I make a difference, to work with men of integrity, to fight to
make this a better country. You three, you're heroes. I am so proud to
be a part of this team. Just talking about it... look at that,
goosebumps."

Frohike: "You are so fired."

I'm finding that the expression is difficult to chase down, but I'm
better that it goes way back.  One source speculates that "so" as a
superlative is "a great-grandchild of Valley speak", but I suspect
that's off by a decade or two.

Time to call in the Lexicographic Irregulars!

-- 
Cheers,             "Don't use Outlook.  Outlook is really just a security
Rick Moen            hole with a small e-mail client attached to it."
[email-masked]                        -- Brian Trosko in r.a.sf.w.r-j
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:36:57 -0500

> that's off by a decade or two.
 
Now that you've got me thinking about it, it's a _very_ Yiddishe sort of
emphasis; in fact, although my Yiddish is marginal, I can definitely
identify the (very common) construction it came from. Attempts to
translate it into English ("_so_ fired", "_such_ a deal", etc.) do
capture a bit (but far from all) of the flavor. Add an eye-roll at the
appropriate moment, and it's Mel Brooks and Jackie Mason all the way.

> Time to call in the Lexicographic Irregulars!

[perk] We have troops for this?

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:53:10 -0800

> appropriate moment, and it's Mel Brooks and Jackie Mason all the way.

I was _thinking_ it sounded pretty Yiddish, but one of the side-effects
(bubeleh) of having grown up around American popular culture of the 1960s
-- Jay Ward's peerlessly subversive television cartoons; Marvel comics;
songs by Alan Sherman, Stan Freberg, and Tom Lehrer; short stories by
Leo Rosten -- was adopting a good dollop of Yiddish diction without
being quite aware of it -- and sometimes being unaware that it isn't
generic English.  I find myself saying things to my wife like "Not so
much with the cayenne pepper, for you" -- followed later by "That was
_too_ a Norwegian-American expression!"

(I keep trying to convince Deirdre that words like "shmendrick" are
borrowed directly from the Norsk, but she's not buying it.)

-- 
Cheers,        "A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line, today.  The results
Rick Moen       blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."
[email-masked]                                  -- Steel City News
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:20:10 -0500

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 11:53:10AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> generic English.  

A while ago, I saw a review for a book called "The Haunted Smile",
subtitled "The Story of Jewish Comedians in America". The author brought
up a few very interesting points about the necessity of humor in the
Jewish culture as well as the fact that what Jews did here was not so
much assimilation as acculturation - so I think that your experience is
far from unique. From the early days of vaudeville and the Three Stooges
to Woody Allen, Lenny Bruce, and Adam Sandler, the impact of Jewish
humor has left a definite stamp on America.

> I find myself saying things to my wife like "Not so
 
[LOL] Why, of course - "Viking" is an ancient Hebrew expression that
meant "trading" (with an eye-roll at the appropriate moment.) It's all
the fault of the English, you know - "trading" just sounds very close to
"raiding", and the thing with the axes, well, they just talked with
their hands a lot, and if they happened to be holding something at the
time, well...

> borrowed directly from the Norsk, but she's not buying it.)

Oh, I'm sure it was in the ancient writings somewhere - something like

   And it may be said that no one has seen very fearful sights who might
   not see that: how Thor flashed fiery glances at the Shmendrick, and the
   Shmendrick in turn stared up toward him from below and blew venom.

Those were *real* shmendricks in the old days; now, all we've got is
/verkakte/ imitations of the real thing.

---

From: "Kapil Hari Paranjape" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:35:26 +0530

> the W3C validator at http://validator.w3.org/

You could also reduce the load on the w3c server by using "tidy" which
is their downloadable validator (written in Perl).

Kapil.

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:35:20 -0500

> is their downloadable validator (written in Perl).

Thanks, Kapil, that's a handy tip! I already ran "tidy" on my HTML, but
I also have a link that says

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<p>Yes, but does it <a href=
"http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://okopnik.freeshell.org/chris/index.html">
validate</a>?</p>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the page itself. I hadn't used it yet, and it's nice to know that I
don't actually need to.

---

From: "Kapil Hari Paranjape" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:05:03 +0530

Hello,

> I also have a link that says

Since Ben thanked me I checked my info more carefully :-)

What I "meant" was the program "tidy-proxy" which allows you to view
pages through "tidy". So you run "tidy-proxy" (you also need to install
"tidy"), then set your web proxy as "http://localhost:9090/".  After this
any page you view will be examined.

In the process, I also found "wdg-html-validator" which is actually a
"local" version of the validator. It depends on lots of SGML stuff and
so I suppose does a "formal" validation using the DTD's and so on. I
haven't tried it out.

You can also ask "tidy-proxy" to use "wdg-html-validator" with the
"--action v" switch.

Regards,

Kapil.

DISCLAIMER(!): "tidy" "tidy-proxy" and "wdg-html-validator" are the Debian
package names. If you use any other distribution you will probably find
equivalent packages with similar names.

---

From: Pete Jewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:52:05 +0000

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:58:37 +0000

> is there a programme i can get my paws on that will help me build my

In addition to the other fine suggestions, there's also webmake, to
found here - http://webmake.taint.org/.  It's a "simple offline content
management system written in Perl that creates Web sites using
templates".

There are a couple of introductory articles on the Linux.com website,
although the howto/manual on the webmake website is pretty good too.

*) Article 1 - http://docs.linux.com/article.pl?sid=03/12/17/2142222

*) Article 2 - http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/01/28/2137228

*) Webmake Manual - http://webmake.taint.org/doc.html

-- 
Pete Jewell

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:05:58 +0000 (GMT)

--- Pete Jewell <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> It's a "simple offline content management system written in Perl that 
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pete, you're swearing, again!!

-- Thomas Adam

=====

		
____________________________________________________________
How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday
snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Pete Jewell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:25:12 +0000

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:05:58 +0000 (GMT)

> > It's a "simple offline content management system written in Perl

Lol - are you telling me that Heather's scripts don't constitute a
"simple offline content management system"?  Whoops - there I go again
;-)

-- 
Pete Jewell

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:29:57 +0000 (GMT)

> "simple offline content management system"?  Whoops - there I go again

No, Heather and I have a really good system of scripts we both maintain.
CMS nothing. Harmony, control and flexibility to get TAG done at the end
of the month, yes :)

-- Thomas Adam

=====