Subject: [TAG] Linux on Sony Vaio PCG-FR315b

From: "Adriano Konialidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:16:26 +0000

Hi. was wondering if anyone could help me out....

Am about to install linux(don t know which one yet...) on my laptop (sony pcg-fr315b) .

Couldn t find anything on the web specific to this model and am worried installation might go wrong....

any ideas or suggestions?

Thx

peace

wizzard

Half price modem, FREE connection and one month FREE - click here to sign up to BT Broadband.
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:54:59 -0500

>    worried installation might go wrong....

"Go wrong" in what way? Your machine won't explode or grow wings and fly
away, nor will it do anything else that a reinstallation CD won't fix.
You obviously need to back up your data, if the issue applies.

>    any ideas or suggestions?

Yep. First suggestion - read "Asking Questions of The Answer Gang" at
<http://linuxgazette.net/tag/ask-the-gang.html>. Second, implied in the
first - please don't send us HTML-formatted mail; it's not polite. Third
- have you looked at the "Linux on Laptops" site, at
<http://www.linux-laptop.net/>? Look at similar models (e.g., any of the
other PCG-FRs) and see what problems, if any, their owners had. If you
run into any specific problems, feel free to email us with those, and
we'll see if we can help.

* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *
-=-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-= <http://linuxgazette.net/> =-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-=-
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:05:34 +0000 (GMT)

> we'll see if we can help.

Ben is right, Adriano. You have failed to tell us anything useful. I can
confirm though that I helped setup Debian on the very model of laptop you
have there last week for a lecturer -- had no problems at all.

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

____________________________________________________________
How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday
snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:05:34 +0000 (GMT)

-- Thomas Adam

=====

---

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:35:59 -0800

Quoting Thomas Adam ([email-masked]):

> Ben is right, Adriano. You have failed to tell us anything useful. I
> can confirm though that I helped setup Debian on the very model of
> laptop you have there last week for a lecturer -- had no problems at
> all.

Adriano, here's a further tip:  Even in cases where (as with your
PCG-FR315B), http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ doesn't have a link for
your exact model, you can often find linked pages about extremely
similar models.  Have a look at the listings on that site for Sony VAIO
models with nearby model numbers, and see if the description sounds
similar to your problem child.  If so, then the Linux tips for that
other one will probably be useful for yours.

-- 
This message falsely claims to have been scanned for viruses with F-Secure
Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange and to have been found clean.
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:37:45 -0500

> other one will probably be useful for yours.

Though it's worth noting here that the Sony VAIo lapops are *worse*
about conforming to that particular rule than any other consumer
product in history... excpet maybe the DWL-650 and DWL-650'+' wireless
cards from D-Link.

Different OEM, different chipset, different packaging...

and of course the one I *bought* didn't work with Linux.

I'm quite happy, though, with my $51 SMC-2532W-B.  200mw, -91dbm sens,
dual antenna jacks, and a removable patch antenna.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email-masked]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Raj Shekhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:58:24 +0530

> any ideas or suggestions?

I would suggest you try starting your laptop using Knoppix 
(http://www.knoppix.net/), a live CD distribution. It can detect a lot 
of hardware out of the box. Once you are satisfied with the settings, 
you can install it on your hard disk with a single click.

-- 
                         \°°/
                         (oo)
+--------------------ooO-- -Ooo---------------------------------+
|Raj Shekhar                 |My home:                          |
|System Administrator        |http://geocities.com/lunatech3007 |
|Media Web India             |My blog:                          |
|http://www.netphotograph.com|http://lunatech.journalspace.com  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
                       |__|__|
                        || ||
                       ooO Ooo
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:49:45 +0000 (GMT)

--- Raj Shekhar <[email-masked]> wrote: > Adriano Konialidis
wrote:
> > Couldn t find anything on the web specific to this model and am
> worried 
> > installation might go wrong....

This is quite a good suggestion. However, the Vaio model listed there has
no 'shock' surprises in terms of hardware and Debian stable had no issues
with it, even before dist-upgrading to testing. It should not be the case
that he installs Knoppix on his laptop, he might want to go for something
else....

-- Thomas Adam

=====

		
____________________________________________________________
Does your mail provider give you a free online calendar? 
Yahoo! does.  Get Yahoo! Mail http://uk.mail.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag