Subject: Re: [TAG] 2c tips: troubleshooting memory

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:17:47 -0500

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 04:49:44PM +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
>  --- Tom Brown <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> 
> > system recently), run a utility such as "memtest-86". It's free, and 
> > available from www.memtest86.com.  It also comes with SuSE Linux, and 
> 
> This has been documented *countless* times over the years (c.f. the thread
> I gave you last time around about diagnosing bug reports). The thing to
> remember here is that memtest86 is not a utility, but rather a bootloader.

Well, IMNSHO, no, it's not.  A boot-time loadable standalone utility,
perhaps, but inasmuch as it does not itself boot *other* programs, it's
not a bootloader.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email-masked]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Tom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:43:29 -0500

After troubleshooting a Linux file server for the last few days, I have 
a two-cent tip on memory. As a side note, once I fixed my memory 
problem, I discovered I also had a framebuffer issue. Conclusion: if 
your problems appear to be the result of one of two causes, it may 
actually be the result of both.
                               
*                                                            
*                                                         *
If you suspect memory problems (particularly if you added memory to your 
system recently), run a utility such as "memtest-86". It's free, and 
available from www.memtest86.com.  It also comes with SuSE Linux, and 
may accompany other Linux distros as well. The trick here is to run all 
the tests, of which memtest has several. Only one of the tests failed on 
me. The rest were fine. You may also want to run the tests repeatedly 
(i.e., overnight), in case the chips have a heat problem. If you have 
more than one SIMM (the little strip the memory is on), test one SIMM at 
a time, so you can tell for sure which one is bad. Now, if one or more 
SIMMs fail, don't throw anything away just yet. If you have another 
computer that uses the same type of memory, test the SIMMs there, as 
well. As I discovered in my own testing, memory that fails to run in one 
computer, may do just fine in another. The reason is that one 
motherboard may be more tolerant of marginal memory chips than another. 
If you've just upgraded your motherboard, or recently flashed the BIOS, 
double-check the BIOS, to make sure that its settings for memory timing 
are correct for the chips you're using, and aren't too fast.

Tom Brown

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 16:49:44 +0000 (GMT)

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag