Subject: [TAG] CDROM not seen by RH9

From: Joseph Lalingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:29:46 -0500

Hi,
  I installed RedHat Linux 9 via the cd-rw, successfully, but the cdrom 
was not seen. I know the cdrom is still connected internally as I 
haven't interfered with the system's insides (which came with a a cdrom 
and cd-rw) internally. The cd-rw is understood to be the cdrom and there 
is now NO /mnt/cdrom1 but there IS a /mnt/cdrom.

  The cdrom door does not open, yet the light of the cdrom is on.
        
Joe

_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:42:26 +0000 (GMT)

>   The cdrom door does not open, yet the light of the cdrom is on.

"The lights are on but there's no one home". /mnt/cdrom is the mount-point
location of your cdrom drive. It is arbitrary and you can use anything you
like. These are defined (or should be) in /etc/fstab.

If you look in that file, you should have a line similar to:

``
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0
''

Here, /dev/cdrom is in turn a symlink that points to my main cdrom device:
/dev/hdd. This then gets mounted to /cdrom, when I issue the command:

``
mount /cdrom
''

I suspect your troubles come from you missing an entry in /etc/fstab. If
you wanted to mount the second drive as /mnt/cdrom1, then look at the
existing line in the /etc/fstab file, and modify it to reflect the new
drive.

The device name (/dev/xxx) can be got from viewing:

``
dmesg | less
''

HTH,

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag