Subject: Re: [TAG] Compile on one, run on another machine

From: Tom Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:42:06 -0500

Ferenc-Jan,

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I think you're looking for a way 
to build a Linux installer package. Which one you need to build depends 
on what Linux distro you have (hopefully, it's the same one on all your 
machines). Some distros, like Debian, use APT, while others, like Red 
Hat, Mandrake, and Suse, use RPM. There may be others, I don't know.

    The only caution I will make here is that compiling the source code 
creates a binary specific to what is on the build machine. Of course, a 
test system should be as close to the production system as possible,  so 
(hopefully) you're in good shape here.

    I've never tried to create Linux installation packages, but you 
should be looking for "HOWTO" documents for the package you'll be 
working with (APT, RPM, etc.), in addition to any Man or Info pages 
installed on your machine. I strongly suspect that it's a simple matter 
of adding a few commands to your makefile, to package the result, 
instead of installing it.

Hope this helps.

Tom Brown
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:47:39 +0000 (GMT)

> to build a Linux installer package. Which one you need to build depends 

Which is why I make extensive use of 'stow'.

http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/manual.html

-- Thomas Adam

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag