Subject: Re: [TAG] VAX/VMS Filesystem

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:14:50 -0500

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:28:58PM -0800, Burke, Thomas G. wrote:
> We have a bunch of stuff running on DEC VAX machines here at work... 
> I understand that I cannot port the software over to any other
> platform for various reasons, but we are rapidly running out of hard
> disk space.  Here is my question:
> 
> Has anyone put together an (for lack of a better phrase) VAX NFS for
> linux, such that I could use a linux box as a file server for a VAX
> network?
> 
> As for why not port everything over, we are developing code for old
> hardware, and the Ada compiler exists only on VAX for this thing... 
> That's why.

How about "why can't you just hang some more hard drives on the
machine locally?"

Cheers,
-- jr 'effectiveness is solving the right problem' a
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email-masked]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

        "They had engineers in my day, too."  -- Perry Vance Nelson
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: "Kapil H. Paranjape" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 08:34:06 -0800

Hello,

> linux, such that I could use a linux box as a file server for a VAX

I supposed the phrase "(for lack of a better phrase) VAX NFS" means this
is not NFS at all but VMS's own way of sharing files over the network.

One possible solution for you would be if you have drivers on the VAX
that can use "network block devices". This is decidedly more tricky than
using file sharing as but Linux can export and import network block
devices. So you have a Linux based server that does not "use" its disks
but exports them as block devices for other networked machines to use.

It also depends on how felxible VMS is about adding filesystems. It
might be easier to look for NFS client drivers for VMS.

Regards,

Kapil.