Subject: [TAG] LG 100 is out!!! It's alive, it's alive!

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:03:17 -0500

...and I'm _bushed._ If any of you folks happen to be in St. Augustine
for the next couple of hours, I'll be at the local bar and reachable via
phone, if not necessarily coherent. :)

Cripes, this thing can be a pain without "local knowledge". At least now
I've got a handle on it.

* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *
-*- See the Linux Gazette in its new home: <http://linuxgazette.net/> -*-
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Joerg Jaspert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:00:53 +0100

Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]> writes:

*Nice*, issue100. Packaged for Debian now (but i kept the lg-issueXXX.deb
name for it).

But please check your trees before you built tarballs:
In lg-base, subdir faq there is since 99 a .general.html.swp (brr, VIM) and since
100 there are 3 backup files added:
author.html.bak.200402092144
general.html.bak.200402092143
index.html.bak.200402092141

-- 
bye Joerg
A.D. 1492:
Christopher Columbus arrives in what he believes to be India, but
which RMS informs him is actually GNU/India.

---

From: Mike Orr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:12:33 -0800

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:00:53PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> *Nice*, issue100. 
Thanks.

> Packaged for Debian now (but i kept the lg-issueXXX.deb name for it).

Whatever works for Debian.  The only reason we changed numbering systems
is so the 'ls' listing won't have two-digit issues and three-digit
issues intermixed.  It's a pain to work with numbered files that are not
in order.  I wish we could add a leading zero to the two-digit issues,
but that would mess up people's bookmarks and mirrors.

> index.html.bak.200402092141

Removed all *bak* files and rebuilt lg-base.tar.gz (and lg-base-new.tar.gz).
I could not find a .general* or *swp file anyhere, so it must have been
deleted.  We'll be more careful about file droppings in the future.

-- 
-Mike Orr (aka. Sluggo), [email-masked]  ([email-masked])
   http://sluggo.kicks-ass.org/                  Cxu vi parolas Esperante?
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Jason Creighton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:11:16 -0700

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:12:33 -0800, 

> deleted.  We'll be more careful about file droppings in the future.

For your .vimrc:

``
set backup			" Turn on backup
set backupdir=~/.vim-backup	" Place where backup files go
set dir=~/.vim-backup		" Place where swap files go
''

...in case you don't like those files laying all over the filesystem.

Jason Creighton

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:11:58 -0500

> ...in case you don't like those files laying all over the filesystem.

...or in case you want to check, once in a while, what vim sessions you
[cough] forgot about when you rebooted. Or, as in the case of a rather
elusive Vim bug that I've been tracking, so you know where to go to
delete the droppings when it crashes with a "deadly signal SEGV" error.

* Ben Okopnik * okopnik.freeshell.org * Technical Editor, Linux Gazette *
-=-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-= <http://linuxgazette.net/> =-=-=-=-=o0o=-=-=-=-=-
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag

---

From: Mike Orr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 07:46:08 -0800

> > ...in case you don't like those files laying all over the filesystem.

I have those set to ~/Backups, and it works quite well -- I never have to
think about stray files.  Three things to keep in mind though:

- The backup files will never be deleted, so you'll periodically want to
go in and clear them out.

- The swap files (*.swp) will not be deleted if you exit vim via the
window manager's close box, ending your X session, logging out, etc.
This necessitates the tedious recover, save to temp file, and diff
against the original to verify you haven't lost any changes.  One wishes
it would either save-exit or abort-exit like every other editor does.

- The backup directory is a flat namespace.  So if you're editing
several index.html files in different directories, only one will
actually be backed up.  Likewise, a lingering swap file may actually
refer to another document.  Vim seems to be smart enough not to use the
foreign .swp, but it does trigger the recover warning.

---

From: Ben Okopnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:07:08 -0500

> go in and clear them out.
 
Yeah, actually I'm not so much a fan of "set backup" but "set dir" is My
Friend; that's the part I was thinking about when I responded. As to the
above, I suppose it would be easy enough to include in your "logrotate"
configuration, or to just write a simple cron script that deletes
anything older than X.

> actually be backed up.

The part that I like is that the swap file naming scheme _isn't_ that
flat. If I crash out of three different sessions with "index.html"
files, I'll have an (e.g.) ".swp", ".swo", and ".swn" file that I can
recover, and a simple "strings index.html.swX" will tell me exactly
which one it refers to.

>  Likewise, a lingering swap file may actually

Interestingly enough, mine does not, unless that file, in that
directory, is the one related to an existing swapfile.

ben@Fenrir:~$ vim --version|head -1
VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Feb 18 2004 08:32:09)