Subject: [TAG] linux problem 10.0

From: spb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 13:50:58 +0000

Greetings answer gang, I reply to your mail yesterday.
The computer using today has Microsft ME os,  I cannot send any info to 
you from my linux PC, as when I loaded the upgrade mandrake 10.0 on top 
of my Mandrake 9.2-( purchased from Mandrake central USA} when after 
some time(I thought it had installed 10.0) it returned to the welcome 
desktop screen, from there it is completely frozen, the mouse, the arrow 
keys , tab key and function keys, so restart many times( by power off 
and on only,my only option at the moment} I arrive each time to this 
situation, I cannot get to bios settings  to change device priority for 
startup. to use  a boot disk or floppy. I purchased Mandrake 10.0 from 
Linuz.org in USA  they sent two cd's by airmail  without any other info 
except invoice. Please advise a good Linux Tutorial book for home users, 
I am not IT boffin thank you .spbramwell.

---

From: Thomas Adam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:00:42 +0000 (GMT)

> Greetings answer gang, I reply to your mail yesterday.

Hello, again.

> startup. to use  a boot disk or floppy. I purchased Mandrake 10.0 from 

Presumably you managed to boot off of a CD just fine. In that case, I
suggest (no, I urge you) to download knoppix [1] and boot from that. If
you  have not the facilities to burn CDs, then find someone who can. Why
exactly can't you access your BIOS? 

Also, as this is Mandrake, having done [2] (which may or maynot be
strictly necessary -- I can't tell), I suggest when you next boot into
Linux, you issue:

linux 3

(at the LILO/Grub prompt) so that you're forced into a text-only mode.
Hoipefully you should be able to report back to us whether you can login
or not, and whether your keyboard is still locked, etc.

> except invoice. Please advise a good Linux Tutorial book for home users,

The book I used wqas "Running Linux", Matt Walsh, et al. Publsihed by
O'reilly. You'll find it on amazon no problems.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] http://www.knoppix.net

=====
"The Linux Weekend Mechanic" -- http://linuxgazette.net
"TAG Editor"                 -- http://linuxgazette.net

"<shrug> We'll just save up your sins, Thomas, and punish 
you for all of them at once when you get better. The 
experience will probably kill you. :)"

 -- Benjamin A. Okopnik (Linux Gazette Technical Editor)

___________________________________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" 
your friends today! Download Messenger Now 
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html
_______________________________________________
TAG mailing list
[email-masked]
http://linuxgazette.net/mailman/listinfo/tag