Subject: Using the Chapter Ornaments
From: [email-masked] (P Nielsen Hayden)
Date: 1996/04/22
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan

Several RJ fans have asked us about using the Wheel of Time chapter
ornaments, and other visuals associated with our editions of the books, on
their Web pages or other RJ-related publications.

In the past, we have said no.  Now we're saying it's okay to do that.  With
certain limitations.

You may reproduce these elements on Web pages or in print publications that
have to do with Jordan's work.  You may not use them as a decorative element
on consumer goods.  In other words, you can use them all you like on an
RJ-related Web page, but we're not giving you permission to put the
wheel-and-snake on a mug and sell the mug.

We'd appreciate it if, somewhere in your publications or web pages, you
noted that the art is copyright by Tor Books and used by our permission.

As ever, you may reproduce our covers all you like, so long as you reproduce
at least the _entire_ front cover, type and all.  You may not excerpt the
cover art, without the type, unless you have the artist's permission to do
so.

     *  *  *

Incidentally, the latest RJ fan to ask me about this was one Paul Carr,
whose email to me features a return address of [email-masked].

Mr. Carr has subsequently sent me further mail bitterly complaining that I
have failed to answer him.  Of course, I have answered him, but mail to his
return address bounces.  Meanwhile, his web page, at
<http://www.az.com/~reddraco/wot.html>, urges passers-by to send me mail
decrying our policy on use of the chapter ornaments.  Gosh, thanks.

Not to put too fine a point on it, if I had a nickel for every Jordan fan
who has sent me mail from misconfigured mailers, I could take a week off in
the Bahamas.  Is there something about the Wheel of Time that blasts away
that portion of the brain otherwise devoted to setting up your mail software
correctly?  Thank you for listening.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled sweetness and light.

-----
Patrick Nielsen Hayden : [email-masked] : http://www.panix.com/~pnh