Subject: Re: Unix/BSD Books (was: Yet Another sudo vs. su question...)
From: Chris Stearns <[email-masked]>
To: Mac OS X List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:44:21 -0800

I wrote:

> I think a comprehensive list of good books for Unix/BSD newbies would
> be a very useful resource for this list to have at it's disposal. I
> know the list has a number of Unix veterans. So here's my question:
>
> If you could pick ONE book for a newbie to learn Unix/BSD from, what
> would it be?

Well, I neglected to mention that the topic _has_ come up on the list
several times before, mostly when it was still the [XBeta] List. So i'ts
only fair that I do a little homework and go first.

I've compiled all the book suggestions from those past posts (that I
could find) and added them to Rick Moen's suggestions. Here's the list,
divided up into SysAdmin, General, and OS X categories.

Feel free to add directly to this list and mail it back to the X4U list!

--------------------------------------------------------
General Unix/BSD Books (good for newbies)
--------------------------------------------------------

Learning the UNIX Operating System, 4th Edition
By Jerry Peek, Grace Todino & John Strang
4th Edition December 1997
1-56592-390-1, Order Number: 3901
103 pages, $14.95
(available from O'Reilly: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunix4/)

UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition, 3rd Edition
By Arnold Robbins
3rd Edition September 1999
1-56592-427-4, Order Number: 4274
614 pages, $29.95
(available from O'Reilly: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unixnut3/)

*Note about O'Reilly Books: Bob Torres <[email-masked]>notes "The O'Reilly
series rocks. Just FYI - you can get access to the full text version of a
handful of O'Reilly books online at http://safari.oreilly.com for a monthly
fee (which is pretty reasonable). I don't work for them or anything, I've
just found having online access to these books pretty useful."

----------------------------
System Administration
----------------------------

Unix System Administration Handbook, by Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott
Seebass, and Trent R. Hein, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-151051-7.

Essential System Administration, by Aeleen Frisch, O'Reilly &
Associates, ISBN 0-937175-80-3.

DNS and BIND, Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu, O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN
1-56592-512-2. (4th edition will be coming out in May, covering BIND v.
9.x.)

TCP/IP Network Administration, Craig Hunt, O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN
1-56592-322-7.

---------------------
Mac OS X Books
---------------------

OS X: The Missing Manual, By David Pogue. * Due July 2001*
<http://www.missingmanual.com/>
<http://www.pogueman.com/>

Mac OS X Little Black Book, by Gene Steinberg
Paperback - 315 pages, The Coriolis Group;
ISBN: 1576107019, Amazon Price: $29.99
This item was published on February 16, 2001.
<http://www.macnightowl.com/books.htm>

From: Chris Stearns <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]> (Mac OS X for Users)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:38:13 -0700
Subject: [X4U] OS X Book List: April 10 (2/2)

Please add to the list and mail it back to me.
-CMS

--------------
MAC OS X BOOKS
--------------

Note: as of early April 2001, many of these books have not yet been
published. Due dates have been noted where available.

Mac OS X Book List
------------------

OS X: The Misisng Manual, By David Pogue. * Due July 2001*
  <http://www.missingmanual.com/>
  <http://www.pogueman.com/>

Mac OS X Little Black Book, by Gene Steinberg
  Paperback - 315 pages, The Coriolis Group;
  ISBN: 1576107019, Amazon Price: $29.99
  1st ed., May 2001.
  <http://www.macnightowl.com/books.htm>

Mastering Mac OS X, by Todd Stauffer, Sybex, ISBN 0-78-212581-6, 1st ed,
   April 2001.

MacWorld Mac OS X Bible, by Lon Poole, Hungry Minds, Inc.,
  ISBN 0-76-453467-X,
  1st ed., Dec. 2000.  Note: I was contacted by one of the books authors and
  told that this book is in fact due in September 2001 (they are tracking
  the Puma additions).

Learning Cocoa
  *due May 2001 from O'Reilly.
  (noted by John G. Otto Nisus Software Engineering)

The Mac OS X Book, by Mark Bell, The Coriolis Group, ISBN 1-57-610605-5,
   1st ed., May 2001.

Mac OS X Black Book : The Reference Guide for Power Users, by Mark R.
   Bell, Debbie Suggs, and Mark Bell, The Coriolis Group, ISBN 1-56-10606-3,
   1st ed., July 2001.

Mac OS X Clearly Explained, by John Rizzo, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers,
   ISBN 0-12-589327-2, 1st ed., Feb. 2001.

Mac OS X for Dummies, by Bob Levitus and Robert Le Vitus, Hungry Minds,
   Inc., ISBN 0-76-450706-0, April 2001.

Mac OS X: The Complete Reference, by Jesse Feiler, McGraw-Hill Professional
   Publishing, ISBN 0-07-212663-9, June 2001.

From: Adam Boettiger <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [X4U] OS X books
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:44:41 -0700
To: Mac OS X for Users <[email-masked]> 

> Can anyone recommend (or even know about) any books about OS X which
> INCLUDES ALL THE CHANGES IN 10.1?

"Mac OSX - The missing manual" by David Pogue
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000820/qid=1002717766/sr=2-1/ref
=sr_2_3_1/102-1534746-9765728>

To be published end of October.

AB
-- 
Adam Boettiger, Founder & CEO
Email 911 - Mastering Email Management
Email: [email-masked] - Phone: (503) 925-8434
Portland, Oregon (USA)

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]> (Mac OS X for Users)
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:31:27 -0700
Subject: Re: [X4U] Which of the new different lists?

Eric Prentice characterised some of his new lists:

> Newbies might be a good one for you as we are all newbies on Mac OS X.
> 
> Apps will be a good one as it is a place to discuss individual
> programs like mail.
> 
> You might want to avoid Unix and Servers unless you are interested in
> those.

A few others that should be noted:

[email-masked] 
   Administrators of Mac OS X Server and related technologies.
   http://lists.apple.com/mhonarc/macos-x-server/  
   http://lists.apple.com/archives/macos-x-server/
      (username "archive" password "archive")

[email-masked]
   Community-supported help for installing and using Darwin.
   http://lists.apple.com/mhonarc/darwinos-users/
   http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwinos-users/
      (username "archive" password "archive")

[email-masked]
   Technical discussion list for Darwin software development.
   http://lists.apple.com/mhonarc/darwin-development/
   http://lists.apple.com/archives/darwin-development/
      (username "archive" password "archive")

[email-masked]
   ???
   Subscribe by sending "subscribe {digest} macosx-l" to 
   [email-masked] .

[email-masked]
   General discussions of Mac OS X.
   http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-talk/

[email-masked]
   All Mac OS X administration questions, including any
   questions about initial installation and configuration.
   http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-admin/

[email-masked]
   Mac OS X developers' mutual assistance.
   http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/archive/macosx-dev/

[email-masked]
   Low-traffic list for webmasters running on OS X.  
   Subscribe by sending mail to [email-masked] .
   No known archives.

[email-masked]
   News and user support for Mac OS X.
   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/macosx-support

[email-masked]
   Rhapsody on Intel Advocacy.  Inactive list.
   http://www.of.org/rhaptel/mailing.html
   http://www.of.org/rhaptel/archives/

[email-masked]
   Perl on OS X.
   Subscribe by sending mail to [email-masked]. 
   No known archives.

[email-masked]
   News and information about OS X.
   http://sparky.listmoms.net/lists/macosx-l/
   http://sparky.listmoms.net/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?visit=macosx-l

[email-masked] 
   Bugs, viruses, and security holes in MacOS (all versions).
   Moderated.  (My view:  If you need BugTraq, read the real one.)
   http://www.listmoms.net/lists/bugtraqmac/
   http://sparky.listmoms.net/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?visit=bugtraqmac

If you're looking for Web-based forums (yuck!), you're on your own.

See also:
   http://www.lists.apple.com/cgi-bin/mwf/board_show.pl?id=1
   http://www.lists.apple.com/cgi-bin/mwf/board_show.pl?id=3