From: [email-masked] (John Novak)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan,rec.arts.sf.written,rec.

answers,news.answers
Subject: rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Date: 5 Jul 1997 21:32:48 -0500

Summary of changes:

o       Four words:  _The Path of Daggers_.

o       Damn it, people, update those FAQ pointers.

                 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
               for rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan

Welcome to the rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan Usenet newsgroup.
Before you rush off to post, we strongly recommend and request that
you peruse this small document, which attempts to answer the most
Frequently Asked Questions about Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time
series and the rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan newsgroup.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. HISTORY AND CHARTER OF REC.ARTS.SF.WRITTEN.ROBERT-JORDAN

2. MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ROBERT JORDAN.
      1. Who is Robert Jordan?
      2. What is the Wheel of Time?  What are the book titles?
      3. What's the title of the next book?
      4. When will the next book be published?
      5. How many books will the Wheel of Time series end up being?
      6. Is Robert Jordan on the Net?
      7. Are there any other books about the Wheel of Time?
      8. What will Jordan write after he finishes The Wheel of Time?
      9. What else do I read while I wait for Book 8?
     10. Are there any Wheel of Time related games?
     11. Can someone type in an mail me a copy of SaSG?
     12. What about the artwork?

3. GENERAL COURTESY AND NEWSGROUP SPECIFIC CONVENTIONS/POLICIES.
      1. How to post so that you don't look like a fool or upset people
      2. Spoiler Policy
      3. The TAN Subject Header Convention.

4. COMMON ABBREVIATIONS

5. NEWSGROUP RESOURCES & ARCHIVES
      1. The Wheel of Time FAQ.
      2. The Jordan Archives (FTP site and WWW home page).
      3. Wheel of Time WWW Index

6. OTHER AREAS OF ROBERT JORDAN FANDOM
      1. Fan Clubs
      2. Online Role Playing Games (MUSH/MOO/MUD)

7. HOW TO FIND THE LATEST VERSION OF THIS FAQ.

8. ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

                                * * *

Section 1:  HISTORY AND CHARTER OF REC.ARTS.SF.WRITTEN.ROBERT-JORDAN

This newsgroup, rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan, was created in July
1994 for the discussion of books written by contemporary author Robert
Jordan (a pseudonym, see next section).  In particular, this newsgroup
is concerned with his ongoing "Wheel of Time" series, but also covers
past and future works by him.  Fandom is specifically included within
the purview of this charter.  The group is unmoderated.

The discussions in this group originated in rec.arts.sf.written (the
general group for discussion of all science fiction and fantasy books),
where they were carried on for upwards of two years before this group
was created.  A more detailed history by Bill Garrett is available from
http://www.cs.unc.edu:80/~garrett/jordan/history.html

                                * * *

Section 2:  MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ROBERT JORDAN.

Q: Who is Robert Jordan?
A: Robert Jordan is actually a pseudonym for James Oliver
   Rigney, Jr., under which he has written seven volumes of the
   "Wheel of Time" fantasy series as well as seven books of the
   "Conan" series.  Other pseudonyms are Reagan O'Neal ("Fallon"
   series; historic fiction), Jackson O'Reilly ("Cheyenne Raiders";
   western), and Chang Lung (contributions to various periodicals
   including Library Journal).  [Source:  Contemporary Authors vol.
   140]

Q: What is The Wheel of Time?  What are the book titles?
A: The Wheel of Time is an in-progress series of fantasy books
   with a very complex plot that has gathered a large following of
   very devoted fans.  The books in "The Wheel of Time" series are
   (so far; in order):

        The Eye of the World   ISBN 0-312-85009-3
        The Great Hunt         ISBN 0-312-85140-5
        The Dragon Reborn      ISBN 0-312-85248-7
        The Shadow Rising      ISBN 0-312-85431-5
        The Fires of Heaven    ISBN 0-312-85427-7
        Lord of Chaos          ISBN 0-312-85428-5
        A Crown of Swords      ISBN 0-312-85767-5

   All seven are available in both hardcover and paperback editions.
   (Despite popular misconception, there are hardcover editions of
   the first two books.  The FAQ maintainer happens to own such
   copies.)

   All of the Wheel of Time books in the United States and Canada are
   published by Tor Books ( http://www.tor.com/ ).  UK/International
   versions are published by Orbit.  See the Wheel of Time FAQ for
   ISBN numbers and prices (see Section 5.1 for directions on where
   to get the Wheel of Time FAQ).

Q: What is the title of the next book?
A: According to Tor's web page, as well as a voice mail telephone
   number which Tor publishing has set up, the title of the next book
   will be _The Path of Daggers_.  The Tor phone number is 388-0100 extension
   701, and is a recording of Robert Jordan himself, giving some details
   of the publishing schedule.

Q: So when will I be able to buy it?
A: Again, PNH has not told us, and again, he probably doesn't know
   yet.  In an on-line chat, Robert Jordan gave a very tentative guess
   that he would deliver the eighth book in the fall of 1997, which
   means a reasonable publication date is spring of 1998.  Eek.

   Quasi-Update:  This information has been repeated by Jordan several
   times over the past months in varying locations, signings, and chats.
   Even though the information is not changing, it represents our best
   knowledge.

Q: How many books will the Wheel of Time series end up being?
A: In a recent letter from Robert Jordan (published on the Tor
   homepage) he tells us that the series will take at least ten
   books, though he is unsure of the final number.

Q: Is Robert Jordan on the Net?
A: No.  He understands its addictiveness and can't afford the
   time.  If you want to write to him, send a letter in care of Tor
   Books:

                        Robert Jordan
                        c/o Tor Books
                        175 Fifth Avenue
                        New York, NY 10010

Q: Are there any other books about The Wheel of Time?
A: Not yet, but one is in the works. The web page for Tor Books indicates
   that _The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time_, by Teresa
   Patterson and Robert Jordan, will be published in November of 1997.

   Robert Jordan tells us that the artist is Cameron Hamilton
   (implying that Daryl Sweet will have little or no part), that the
   projected legnth is 80,000 words and 64 color illustrations
   including a complete map of the world, and that there will be
   information in that book not available in any other books.

   There is a recently written short story called "The Strike at
   Shayol Ghul" by Robert Jordan.  The story was published as part of
   the Balticon XXX program guide, and details a bit of the events
   leading up to and including the strike at Shayol Ghul.

   WHILE SUPPLIES LAST, you can obtain one by sending six stamps, a
   request for the program guide, and a donation the Reading is
   Fundamental charity in any amount you can afford to the folks at
   Balticon at:

   B30 BSFAN
   P. O. Box 686
   Baltimore, MD  21203-0686

   Make any donation checks or money orders payable to the RIF
   charity.

   This short story is now available on-line at the Tor books web
   page, specifically at

   http://www.tor.com/shayol.html

Q: What will Jordan write after he finishes the Wheel of Time?
A: Robert Jordan has said that he has plans for a series
   tentatively titled "Shipwrecked", based on a Seanchan-like world
   and events revolving around a character who washes ashore.  But he
   doesn't plan to start writing it until he finishes the Wheel of
   Time series.

Q: What else can I read while I wait for Book 8?
A: Tor is capitalizing on Jordan's popularity by rereleasing
   some of Robert Jordan's older works.

   A hardcover compendium of three of Jordan's seven "Conan" novels
   is currently in stores as "The Conan Chronicles", and includes
   "Conan the Invincible", "Conan the Defender" and "Conan the
   Unconquered".

   A hardcover of "The Fallon Blood" under Tor's 'Forge' imprint is
   also currently available in stores.  It is a historical novel set
   in the Revolutionary War period, and is the first of a three-part
   series.  (The sequels are expected to be reprinted in the future
   as well, but are currently out of print.)

   A bibliography of Jordan's works is maintained at:
   http://cegt201.bradley.edu/~jsn/bib1.html

Q: Are there any Wheel of Time related games?
A: Not yet, but Mayfair Games plans to release a Wheel of Time
   expansion set for its Fantasy Adventures collectible card game
   sometime in 1996.  See their ad inside the back cover of the Lord
   of Chaos US mass-market paperback.  (See also Section 6.2 for a
   list of online role playing games.)
        
   Also, Legend Entertainment Company, which produced the game "Death
   Gate", has reputedly picked up the license to create a Wheel of
   Time PC Game.  According to the designer, it will be first person,
   set in a DOOM like engine, but be geared toward multi-person
   play.  There is no firm information on a release, but it isn't
   past the concept stage at this point, so the game is a long way
   off.

Q: Can anyone type up and send me SaSG (or anything else)?
A: No.  No.  A thousand times, no.

   No.  Not legally.

   Nothing which Robert Jordan has written is in the public domain.
   Everything which Robert Jordan has ever published is covered under
   copyright laws.  That means everything.  Please note that under
   the Berne Convention, an international agreement to which almost
   all nations (including the United States) are signatory, _all_
   written works are under copyright automatically, even when no
   explicit copyright is mentioned.  Seriously.  This applies to
   EVERYTHING, most especially published materials.

   For emphasis, the _A Crown of Swords_ prologue, even though
   available through  the World Wide Web, is not public domain.  You
   may of course add a link to that page in any page you create, but
   the text itself is not public domain.

   For emphasis, the story "The Strike at Shayol Ghul" is not public
   domain.  If you receive an electronic copy of this story, be
   advised that it is stolen property in a very real fashion, and the
   person from whom you received it is a thief.

   Asking for electronic copies of Robert Jordan's material to be
   posted or mailed is asking for commission of theft.  It is in
   extremely poor taste.  Please do not do it here.

Q: What about the artwork?
A: That's slightly different.

   Artwork falls into two categories, cover art and chapter icons.

   Cover art may be used, as long as you do not delete any of the
   text from the coer (for instance, Robert Jordan's name, the title,
   quotes on the back, etc.)

   Chapter icons, until recently, were off limits.  According to PNH,
   this has changed.  It is now permissible to use scanned in chapter
   icons on Jordan-related web pages or printed materials, so long as
   you note that the icons are copyrighted by Tor books and used with
   permission.  You MAY NOT place chapter icons on any consumer good,
   nor may you sell them or make money from them.

   Interior maps, unfortunately, are still off-limits.  You may not
   scan in and use interior maps.

                               * * *

Section 3:  GENERAL COURTESY AND NEWSGROUP SPECIFIC CONVENTIONS/POLICIES.

Section 3.1:  General Courtesy:

   Before you post, please read the newsgroup for a while.  This is
   the best way to see how things are done, and you'll probably find
   that whatever question/point you wish to pose has already been
   discussed before.  You will want to take this into account if and
   when you bring it up.

   We urge all readers to follow these few points of "netiquette" to
   avoid irritating people and to increase the likelihood that people
   respond to your ideas.  The idea behind these recommendations is
   two-fold.  First, to make the newsgroup run as smoothly and
   pleasantly for all concerned, both old-timer and new user.
   Second, to help the new user communicate efficiently, because
   communication is the prime goal of Usenet.  The idea is NOT to
   stifle discussion or add unnecessary restrictions.

   It should also be noted that all of these maxims can and should be
   applied to every Usenet newsgroup, not only this one.

   Section 3.1.1:  Read the Wheel of Time FAQ.

    Before posting your brilliant new idea (e.g. "Hey! I think Shaiel
    = Tigraine," or "Hey! Maybe Slayer = Luc + Isam!"), make sure it
    has not been discussed to death months before.  The collected
    wisdom of the jordan discussions is available in the form of the
    Wheel of Time FAQ.  It is a huge document, and even if you don't
    feel like reading it all at once, you should read it at some
    point, and at least search it for keywords before bringing up
    something that has already been discussed.  Details on how to get
    the Wheel of Time FAQ are found in in section 5.1 below.

    Note that just because a topic is covered in the Wheel of Time
    FAQ does not mean you cannot post to the newsgroup about it.
    However, it would be a good idea, and the polite thing to do, if
    you check the WoT FAQ first so that you can consider previous
    discussion of your idea and hopefully discover something we all
    missed.

   Section 3.1.2:  Keep quoting to a minimum.

    Only keep as much of the previous post post as is necessary for
    people to know what you are talking about.  Summarize wherever
    possible (i.e. instead of 20 lines of included text, summarize it
    in a sentence).  Make sure you attribute the right things to the
    right people, and ALWAYS DELETE .sigs WHEN QUOTING.  On the same
    token, don't post a reply to a specific post without quoting or
    summarizing at least some of it.  The idea is to include *just
    enough* context for people who have not seen the article to which
    you are replying (which can happen quite frequently) to be able
    to understand your comments.

   Section 3.1.3:  Use descriptive subject headers.

    If you want to discuss the intermarriages of the royal houses in
    Andor, use a subject line like "Royal Lineage in Andor".  Threads
    (lines of discussion) often drift from their original topic.
    When this happens, subject lines might have little to do with the
    content of the articles.  Try to avoid this situation by using a
    new title when you start a new thread, and try not to drift from
    the topic too much within a thread.  Drift is inevitable, though,
    and when it happens, it's usually appropriate to rename the
    thread.  To continue the example above, if the topic shifts from
    royal lineage to Rand's parents to intermarriages in the Two
    Rivers, you might rename the thread "Two Rivers Genealogy (was
    Re: Royal Lineage in Andor)" or simply "Two Rivers Genealogy".
    If it shifts to non-book related material, include TAN in the
    Subject line (see Section 3.3).

   Section 3.1.4:  Avoid incendiary language and unconstructive
   criticism.

    Words like "rip-off," "crap," and "semi-literate, brainwashed
    fools" will irritate people, even if that was not your intent.
    If you disagree with someone, tell the group why you disagree;
    don't just call that person names.

   Section 3.1.5:  Legibility, readability and other miscellenia.

    Usenet is a media designed to facilitate communication, and the
    rasfwrj newsgroup is a fairly busy newsgroup, with many articles
    streaming in every day.  A good way to encourage people to read your
    articles is to present them in a format which makes them pleasing to
    as many eyes as possible.  The following are a few helpful hints
    on how to keep your articles legible.

    Make a paragraph form by introducing a blank line between each
    paragraph, and a blank line between quoted text and your own text.

    Put "quote marks" in front of each line of quoted text.  Many
    newsreaders do this automatically, by putting a '>' symbol at the
    beginning of each line.

    Keep your line lengths to below 80 characters, preferably
    somewhere in the range of 70 to 75 characters, so that people
    reading news on standard 80 column terminals (that is, most of
    us) can both read and quote your text easily.

    Finally, make some attempt to follow the dictates of English
    grammar.  It is a given that people will make mistakes,
    mispellings and the occasional gaffe.  No one claims to be
    perfect (for very long).  Likewise, we all have our own style.
    But in general, posts which are written in good English, with
    proper capitalization and punctuation are the easiest to read.

    And we all want people to read our posts with the minimum
    possible effort.

Section 3.2:  Spoiler Policy:

   When a new book comes out, some people obtain and read it before
   other people do.  People who have read parts of the book want to
   talk about them, but people who haven't gotten that far don't want
   you to spoil the surprises for them.  When not everybody has read
   what you want to talk about, be sure to include the keyword
   "SPOILERS" in the subject line along with the title of the book
   you're talking about.  For example,

    Subject: LoC: Padan Fain (SPOILERS)

   Just be sure not to spoil the book with the title!  Spoiler
   warnings are really important for the first few months after a new
   book comes out and becomes less important after that time.  You
   should also include a spoiler warning at the top of the message
   itself, with either a form-feed (control-L) or several (20 or so)
   blanks lines to hide the spoiler from those who do not wish to see
   it.

   Currently accepted practice is to use spoiler warnings for about
   six weeks after the Hardcover release in the United States Due to
   the inherent nature of Usenet and the types of discussion typical
   on rasfwrj, it is virtually impossible to maintain spoiler warning
   for longer periods.  Therefore, those of you who wait to buy the
   paperback version are out of luck, unfortunately yet unavoidably.
   Sorry...  :-(   Consider yourself forewarned, and exercise due
   caution when/if you read rasfwrj (unless you don't mind spoilers,
   of course).

Section 3.3:  The "TAN:" Subject Header

   It is inevitable that there will be threads that do not directly
   pertain to the books, and it is inevitable that this sort of thing
   will annoy some people.  In order to keep things civilized, it is
   suggested that such discussions be labeled "TAN:" for
   "tangential."  For example:

    Subject: TAN: Warder Applications
    Subject: TAN: Plot Contest
    Subject: TAN: What did Lanfear give Roy for his birthday?

                               * * *

Section 4:  COMMON ABBREVIATIONS

You may note that there are many strange and arcane acronyms and
abbreviations used on this group. Here are interpretations of the
most commonly used:

TWoT         = The Wheel of Time (also just WoT)
TEotW        = The Eye of the World (sometimes just EOW)
TGH          = The Great Hunt
TDR          = The Dragon Reborn
TSR          = The Shadow Rising
TFoH         = The Fires of Heaven (sometimes just FOH)
LoC          = Lord of Chaos
CoS/ACoS     = A Crown of Swords
rasfw        = rec.arts.sf.written (also "r.a.sf.w", sometimes "rasw" )
rasfwrj      = rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan (also "r.a.sf.w.r-j")
AOL          = Age of Legends (or America OnLine, depending on context)
AS           = Aes Sedai (or Amyrlin Seat)
Asm          = Asmodean
BA           = Black Ajah
DF           = Darkfriend
DFS/DS       = Darkfriend Social (Two usages:  The event in the Prologue
                of TGH, or a real-life meeting of newsgroup members.)
DO           = Dark One
DotNM        = Daughter of the Nine Moons
Eg/Egw       = Egwene
El           = Elayne
Ish/Ishy     = Ishamael
LTT          = Lews Therin Telamon
Mog/Moggy    = Moghedien
Mo/Moi/Moir  = Moiraine
MPS          = Mad Passionate Sex, (c) Mike Macchione
MT           = Mazrim Taim
Ny/Nyn       = Nynaeve
OP           = One Power
PNH          = Patrick Nielsen Hayden (Sr. Editor, Tor Books).
Randland     = The Wheel of Time world.  Sometimes used to refer to the entire
                world, sometimes just the mainland areas shown on the maps.
RJ           = Robert Jordan (also referred to as 'The Creator')
SG           = Shayol Ghul
SS           = Siuan Sanche
TAR/T'A'R    = Tel'aran'rhiod
TS           = True Source
TV           = Tar Valon
WC/WCs       = Whitecloak(s)
WO/WOs       = Wise One(s)
WT           = White Tower
YKYBRTMRJW   = You Know You've Been Reading Too Much Robert Jordan When...
                (also IKIHBRTMRJ = I Know I Have Been...)

And a few of the most common Usenet-wide acronyms:

AFAIK        = As Far As I Know (also AFAIR = As Far As I Remember)
FAQ          = Frequently Asked Question(s)
FWIW         = For What It's Worth
HTH          = Hope This Helps(Helped)
IIRC         = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO         = In My Humble Opinion (also IMNSHO, where NS = Not So; IMNAAHO,
                where NAA = Not At All; IMAO = In My Arrogant Opinion)
ROFL/ROTFL   = Rolling On the Floor, Laughing
RTFF         = Read The Flaming FAQ!
YMMV         = Your Milage May Vary ("Tastes Vary")
WWW          = World Wide Web
grep         = (verb) search, usually a file for key words.
                (from a Unix command to search files for words).
Ob (prefix)  = Obligatory reference to something.  (For example, an ObJordan
                is an obligatory reference to RJ, usually in an article that
                would otherwise be off-topic.  But usage varies; often, it
                indicates a reference to an inside-joke or past event.)
YHBT. YHL. HAND. = You Have Been Trolled.  You Have Lost.  Have A Nice Day.
                Indicates you interpreted words at face value when they
                were intended to be a joke.  Enjoy a good laugh, it happens
                to the best of us too.

                               * * *

Section 5:  NEWSGROUP RESOURCES AND ARCHIVES

This FAQ isn't even the tip of the metaphorical iceberg of Robert
Jordan fandom accumulated on the Internet and other venues.  We
strongly suggest that you download a copy of the Wheel of Time FAQ, a
much lengthier collection of questions, discussion, humor, and
fandom.  There is also tons more information, collections and humor
available by anonymous ftp or on the WWW. (See the end of Section 5.2
for directions on how to use ftp.)

Section 5.1:  The Wheel of Time FAQ.

   The Wheel of Time FAQ is an extensive collection of culled from
   discussions of the Wheel of Time over the past several years.  It
   includes summaries of many discussions/conclusions/ideas/theories
   from Usenet and other sources, plus a list of collected prophecies
   from the books for your handy reference.  It is STRONGLY
   RECOMMENDED that you get a copy of the Wheel of Time FAQ and check
   if your idea has been already discussed before you post it.

   Pam Korda maintains the Wheel of Time FAQ and posts it to rasfwrj
   as her schedule permits, which is roughly once couple months.  You
   can always obtain a copy by sending Pam email at
   [email-masked] or by downloading it via anonymous ftp
   from ftp.cc.gatech.edu (the Jordan Archive site; see below).  Note
   that there are TWO versions of the Wheel of Time FAQ:  one
   contains discussions (spoilers) for book 6, Lord of Chaos; the
   other only contains discussions through book 5, The Fires of
   Heaven:

        /pub/people/viren/jordan/wot-loc.FAQ    (through Lord of Chaos)
        /pub/people/viren/jordan/wot-tfoh.FAQ   (through The Fires of Heaven)

        (Note that it's "viren" and not "verin"....)

   Both versions of the Wheel of Time FAQ are available on the WWW:

        http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ftp/people/viren/www/jordan/FAQ.html
        http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ftp/people/viren/www/jordan/preLoC.html

   Andy Carlson has set up an automatic server to email copies of the
   Lord of Chaos version of the Wheel of Time FAQ.  Send an email
   message to [email-masked] (subject and body don't matter.)

   Versions of the Wheel of Time FAQ are also available on America
   Online, Prodigy and Compuserve, though they may be out of date or
   modified.  On America Online, the WoT FAQ is in the Fantasy
   Library section of the Fantasy and Science Fiction Area (Keyword:
   SF).  On Compuserve, it is in the Science Fiction Literature Forum
   Library in the Fantasy Section (GO: SFLIT).  On Prodigy, a
   variation of the WoT FAQ is posted on the Science Fiction/Fantasy
   Bulletin Board in the Robert Jordan Topic about once every two
   months in three parts, under the subjects FAQ, GTW, and
   JORDANFAQ.  Info on Prodigy Exporting can be found by JUMPing:
   Bulletin Boards under the section entitled "BB How To's."

Section 5.2:  The Jordan Archives (FTP site and WWW home page).

   The Jordan Archives contain an extensive collection of information
   culled from the discussion on rasfwrj and from earlier discussions
   on rec.arts.sf.written.  In addition to this FAQ and the Wheel of
   Time FAQ, it contains numberous other submissions ranging from
   humor (filksongs, The Dark One's Dictionary, etc.), results from
   surveys and plot submission contests, collections of information
   from the books (an Old Tongue dictionary, character lists, etc.)
   and much more.

   The Jordan archives are available by anonymous ftp to
   ftp.cc.gatech.edu in the directory /pub/people/viren/jordan and
   various subdirectories.

   All of the archive is available from the Wheel of Time Home Page:

        http://www.cc.gatech.edu/ftp/people/viren/www/jordan/jordan.html

   Or from one of the mirror WWW site:

     Europe (Germany): Helmut Geyer's mirror WWW site:
        http://polyhymnia.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de:8080/jordan/jordan.html

   The Wheel of Time Home Page contains links to the web pages of
   several of the regular posters to rasfwrj, some of whom also have
   Jordan related web pages.

   HOW TO USE ANONYMOUS FTP: Use the login name of "anonymous" or
   "ftp", and type your email address for the password.  Type "cd
   /pub/people/viren/jordan" to change to the correct directory, use
   "ls" to see what files are there, and use "get file" (replace
   'file' with the name of the file) to copy the file to your local
   machine.  Also, don't type in the quotes.)  For more information,
   ask someone at your local site since they will be able to best
   answer questions regarding your specific software/setup.)

Section 5.3:  The Compleat Wheel of Time WWW Index

   Pam Korda also maintains an index of all the Wheel of Time related
   resources on the WWW at

   http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/kor2/WOT/WOTindex.html

                               * * *

Section 6:  OTHER AREAS OF ROBERT JORDAN FANDOM

Section 6.1:  Fan Clubs:

   The fan clubs listed below are dedicated to Robert Jordan and/or
   the Wheel of Time.  There may be others that I haven't heard of
   because they don't have a net.presence.

The Wheel of Time Club run by Carolyn Fusinato is now defunct.

The Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time Fan Club:

    The RJ/WOT Fan Club publishes an 8-10 page bimonthly newsletter,
    "Threads", as "a forum for Jordanites to discuss their views of
    the series in letters and articles, serious or humorous."

    Shosh is no longer associated with the Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time
    Fan Club.  Please direct all inquiries to:

    RJ/WOT Fan Club
    P.O. Box 463
    Mansfield, MO 65704

    or: [email-masked]

Section 6.2:  Roleplaying Games:

   There are several online roleplaying games on the internet that
   have Wheel of Time themes or areas.  For the MUSHS/MUDs/MOOs,
   basically, just telnet to the site (e.g, "telnet unix.pretend.com
   8888") and follow the directions on your screen.  For more
   information on about what a MUSH actually is, check out the
   rec.games.mud.* newsgroups and their FAQ(s) at

   ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/games/mud-faq

  There exists a list of Jordan-based MUDs at

   http://www.io.con/~sionnach/mud/jordan.html

Section 6.3:  Mailing Lists:

Ron Festine runs and maintains the Robert Jordan List, for those
overwhelmed by the bandwidth of the newsgroup:

    A great discussion group, especially helpful to readers new to
    Robert Jordan's books, takes place via email. To subscribe send a
    brief message to [email-masked]. Advanced readers are
    welcome also, but please, no jumping on newbies.

A list is maintained at:

http://www.icon-stl.net/~samsysd/rjl.html

                               * * *

Section 7:  HOW TO FIND THE LATEST VERSION OF THIS FAQ.

   As always, the most up-to-date version of this FAQ can be obtained
   via anonymous ftp from rtfm.mit.edu (the official news.answers
   archive site, where all FAQs that are posted to news.answers are
   kept), in directory /pub/usenet/news.answers/sf as the file
   robert-jordan-faq.

   On the WWW (World Wide Web), use the URL (Uniform resource locator)

   http://www.landfield.com/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.arts.sf.written.rober
t-jordan.html

   or use ftp://joeshaw.bevc.blacksburg.va.us/pub/jordan/robert-jordan-faq
   or ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/sf/robert-jordan-faq for
   a plain text version of the FAQ.

   This FAQ is also available on the rasfwrj archive site
   (ftp.cc.gatech.edu) mentioned above, but it is not currently
   updated automatically every time the FAQ is posted.

   Andy Carlson has set up an automatic server to email copies of
   this FAQ.  Send an email message to [email-masked]
   (subject and body don't matter.)

   Or, you can always send me email at [email-masked] and
   just ask me for a copy.

   As a last resort, you can use the news.answers ftp-by-mail
   server.  Send a message to [email-masked] with the
   following two lines in the body (not the subject) of the message:

        send usenet/news.answers/sf/robert-jordan-faq
        quit

   Be warned that the turnaround time for the rtfm mail server can be
   rather slow.

                               * * *

Section 8:  ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

   This FAQ was created by Bill Garrett, Pam Korda and Joe Shaw, and
   is maintained by John S. Novak, III.  The authors and maintainer
   wish to thank the many people who have contributed information,
   with Special Thanks to Patrick Nielsen Hayden of Tor Books.  This
   document was prepared under strict supervision by the Secret
   Usenet Cabal and has been brought to you by the letter U.

--
John S. Novak, III              [email-masked]
The Humblest Man on the Net