Subject: Sun Microsystems Sues Island of Java
From: [email-masked] (Mark Wutka)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 3:20:04 EDT
Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny

SUN MICROSYSTEMS SUES ISLAND OF JAVA*

Mountain View, CA -- Sun Microsystems today filed a trademark
infringement against the island of Java* over the use of Sun's
Java* trademark.

Responding to criticism that the island has been called Java* for
centuries, Sun lawyer Frank Cheatham said "Yeah, and in all that
time they never filed for a trademark. They deserve to lose the
name."

Rather than pay the licensing fee, the island decided to change
its name. They originally voted to change it to Visu Albasic, but
an angry telegram from Redmond, Washington convinced them otherwise.
The country finally settled on a symbol for a name -- a neatly-colored
coffee cup which still evokes the idea of java. Since most
newspapers and magazines will not be able to print the name of the
island, it will hereafter be referred to in print as "The Island
Formerly Known As Java*".

The Island Formerly Known As Java* bills itself as a cross-landmass
island, but so far has only been implemented in production on the
Malay Archipelago. Africa is been rumored to have implemented it
on Madagascar, but it is still in alpha testing.

Lawyers from Sun would also like to locate the owners of the huge
fiery ball at the center of the solar system. They have some legal
papers for them...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

*Java is a Trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc. Anyone caught using the
 trademark without permission will be beaten, flogged, sued, and forced
 to use Microsoft products.

--
Selected by Jim Griffith.  MAIL your joke to [email-masked].
Attribute the joke's source if at all possible.  A Daemon will auto-reply.

Please don't send us requests of the form, "could you please send me the
joke about XXX?"  We don't act as a joke server but the web pages at
http://comedy.clari.net/rhf/ will let you search for jokes in our archives.