Subject: The Tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
From: [email-masked] (April Walters)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 7:20:01 PST
Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny.reruns

The Tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
by Richard Aronson ([email-masked])

...In the early seventies, Ed Whitchurch ran "his game", and one of the
participants was Eric Sorenson.  Eric plays something like a computer.
When he games he methodically considers each possibility before
choosing his preferred option.  If given time, he will invariably pick
the optimal solution.  It has been known to take weeks.  He is
otherwise, in all respects, a superior gamer.

Eric was playing a Neutral Paladin in Ed's game.  He was on some lord's
lands when the following exchange occurred:
ED: You see a well groomed garden. In the middle, on a small hill, you
see a gazebo.
ERIC: A gazebo? What color is it?
ED: (Pause) It's white, Eric.
ERIC: How far away is it?
ED: About 50 yards.
ERIC: How big is it?
ED: (Pause) It's about 30 ft across, 15 ft high, with a pointed top.
ERIC: I use my sword to detect good on it.
ED: It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo.
ERIC: (Pause) I call out to it.
ED: It won't answer. It's a gazebo.
ERIC: (Pause) I sheathe my sword and draw my bow and arrows. Does it
respond in any way?
ED: No, Eric, it's a gazebo!
ERIC: I shoot it with my bow (roll to hit). What happened?
ED: There is now a gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it.
ERIC: (Pause) Wasn't it wounded?
ED: OF COURSE NOT, ERIC! IT'S A GAZEBO!
ERIC: (Whimper) But that was a +3 arrow!
ED: It's a gazebo, Eric, a GAZEBO! If you really want to try to
destroy it, you could try to chop it with an axe, I suppose, or you
could try to burn it, but I don't know why anybody would even try.
It's a @#$%!! gazebo!
ERIC: (Long pause. He has no axe or fire spells.) I run away.
ED: (Thoroughly frustrated) It's too late. You've awakened the gazebo.
It catches you and eats you.
ERIC: (Reaching for his dice) Maybe I'll roll up a fire-using mage so
I can avenge my Paladin.

At this point, the increasingly amused fellow party members restored a
modicum of order by explaining to Eric what a gazebo is.  Thus ends the
tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo.  It could have been worse; at least
the gazebo wasn't on a grassy gnoll.

[Note - reprinted by permission of the author - ed.]

--
From the RHF archives as selected by Brad Templeton, Maddi Hausmann and
Jim Griffith.  This newsgroup posts former jokes from the newsgroup
rec.humor.funny.   Visit http://www.netfunny.com/rhf to browse the RHF pages
and archives on the web.

Join and contribute to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) today.