[web-team] Getting started

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Sat Jul 31 16:45:05 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:04:42PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Bill Ward just sent out the announcement about John H Terpstra being the
> next speaker (Samba and the back office), so I'll be updating the events
> page as soon as I can.  (Marc or some other person with root access
> needs to fix ownership/permissions problems in /home/httpd/html .)
>
> I'll also scotch a number of old spelling errors and such.  Will dig in
> as soon as I have write access to the files.  (I'm SSHed in.)

More specifically, he needs to add you to the webslave group.  We use
CVS for edits around here, so if you're already in that group, properly
using CVS will allow you access.

We have a cronscript that gets verbose about leaving locked files up, so
do remember to ci -u :)   The first few warnings go to a miscreant, then
the team starts seeing them so someone can deal with it.

A specific task you could take on first is to make sure the meetings
pages/ events are kept clean;  I had explicitely ceded that task to
Steve Traugott's wife, Joyce, but I think she's had less time for it
when he couldn't be involved anymore.

BTW, Ian's right - the last 'useful' thing I did on the site was push
Margaret's offered cleanups into the web links section, and I think it
could stand more work.  I've been whelmed (not quite over) with other
things... but I am still involved, my key still works, stuff like that.

But as far as looking dusty at a glance, I'd say we need more svluggers
to write up their event trips besides Marc, even though his write ups
are excellent.  A good rant on how cool it is to attend a linux picnix
would be timely.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  Welcome aboard!