[web-team] feedback from SVLUG website

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 30 11:16:40 PDT 2004

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):

> You may not need to put that much effort into it either. I'd say that a link
> to linux.com's appropriate section would work too. Is it really worth it to
> duplicate their work?

It's definitely time to think about the purpose of items on that page --
what needs they're trying to serve.  Obviously, if the aim is to be
comprehensive, then, between LWN's list and Distrowatch's (and maybe
others such as linux.com's), linking to coverage elsewhere is
preferable.  Which should suffice to make Slackware fans happy, I hope.
If not, well, it's an imperfect world.  ;->

On the other hand, the page might serve a useful purpose by listing a
sampling of major distributions, a couple aimed specifically at new
users, one or two boot-from-CD distros, etc.  In other words, the best
purpose of that section of the page might be to showcase the _variety_
of roles Linux can fill, and to help paint a concise picture of the
Linux world.

The page as a whole clearly isn't ever going to be anyone's "portal",
so some thinking strikes me as being in order as to what its role should
be.

(Sorry if the above is clumsily worded.  I'm still a bit groggy.)

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.