[web-team] Web update request: speaker coordinator

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 20 10:24:49 PDT 2004

Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):

> begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 03:04:52PM -0700:
>
> > I'll be glad to make any news snippet vanish that Don wants gone.  (I
> > don't know why Don wouldn't want the above-quoted one, but that's not my
> > call.)
>
> Please make it vanish.   The discussions surrounding
> that list are clearly not productive from the point
> of view of lining up good SVLUG speakers.

OK, I'm commenting out that news snippet in svlug-news.txt .  I've also
altered date stamps (to make it become a current news item) on a similar
news item from 2002:

category=svlug
posted=20040820
expires=20050531
title=Call for Speakers for SVLUG
        SVLUG's Speaker Coordinator has issued a
        Speakers</a>,  describing the group and giving contact info.
        Forward the news to any good speaker prospect for a technical crowd.

By the way, a cronjob is supposed to run, three times each hour, to
re-parse svlug-news.txt .  (Details are on
http://www.svlug.org/teams/web-team.shtml .)  It's obviously not
working (for reasons I haven't yet investigated), so I'm running
"/home/httpd/bin/mk_live_links svlug_news" manually, for now.

Er, until a few minutes ago, when a friend briefed me off-list, I had no
idea what "discussions" you were referring to.  Basically, I had zero
context on what all this was about.  So, if I seemed confused by all
this... it's because I _was_ confused.

Having now heard about recent discussion elsewhere:  I'm very sorry to
hear about all that.  For my own part, I had carefully _not_ requested
to join the SBAY speakers' mailing list, specifically to avoid
triggering any such confrontation.  I was perfectly happy (again,
speaking just for myself) with working around that obstacle through
other (obvious, easy, effective) communications channels, in the name of
harmony.

I'm not questioning Don's decision.  I'm just saying I regret the
outcome (and wanted to stress that the confrontation in question was
very much not my idea, and transpired without my knowledge or involvement).

> Rick, can you put in a link to the "Call for Speakers" page from
> http://www.svlug.org/about.shtml, under "The People of SVLUG" and, as
> you get a chance to look at the links on other pages, consider putting
> it in there as well?  Thank you.

OK.  I've put the link under The People of SVLUG" as follows:

    SVLUG Speakers Program (please send speaker suggestions for our meetings!)

Hyperlink is to http://www.svlug.org/call4speakers.shtml .  I'll look
for other places where links are appropriate.