[web-team] Web update request: speaker coordinator

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 19 15:04:52 PDT 2004

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Actually, on the front page, there's this.  Not sure if that's what
> Don was talking about (probably not), but it was the only ref I could
> find.  (I figured I'd let you grep the HTML files on the server)
>
>   SVLUG's Speaker Coordinator has updated the Call For Speakers to
>   reflect that SVLUG, BAFUG, PenLUG, and LUGOD's new SBAY Speakers
>   Bureau now schedules speakers for all of them. Forward the news to any
>   good speaker prospect for a technical crowd.

Ah, that's from the "SVLUG News" collection.  svlug-news.txt gets
automatically parsed by a cron script several times an hour for news
snippets within that file that aren't yet past their expiration date (if
an expiration date is defined for that news item).

Recently, I repaired a number of old news items in that file that had
been misformatted and preventing the system from working well -- and
also supplied expiration dates for some (mostly 2001) news items that
obviously should have been entered with such dates.  I also lightly
edited a few news items for brevity.  Last, I resumed adding new
snippets, which seemingly had been done very seldom, lately.  (E.g.,
nobody had been adding a news snippet for each upcoming meeting, as
recommended by the Web team instructions page,
http://www.svlug.org/teams/web-team.shtml .

The net effect of those updates was to cause some newer snippets to
percolate to the front, and retire a few that had been showing
(apparently) for a long time even though they concerned 2001 events.

Of the five items currently displayed on the front page
(http://www.svlug.org/), two have expirations of tonight at midnight,
so please expect to see an automatic reshuffling as of early tomorrow.
(I.e., two other items will replace those.)

All news snippets, in reverse date order but without regard to
expiration date, can be browsed on the "News" page,
http://www.svlug.org/news.shtml .

I'll be glad to make any news snippet vanish that Don wants gone.  (I
don't know why Don wouldn't want the above-quoted one, but that's not my
call.)

> I have to say, I'm not particularly happy or comfortable with the
> personal issues that have already come up over here, but I'll do my best
> to ignore it and get on the with actual job of speaker-coordination.

Thanks.  Speaking for myself, I'm just trying to get the volunteer task
required, and don't -- on my part -- have any problem working with
anyone to whatever extent is useful.  In cases where people don't
do likewise, I try to do the John Gilmore thing (treat them as damage
and route around them).