[web-team] Re: Link farm updated

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 12 13:15:34 PDT 2004

Quoting myself:

> I couldn't find any sign of "Software Development,
> http://www.softwaredevelopment.com", and so substituted SD Forum as
> possibly what was intended(?).

Er, make that:  I couldn't find any sign of "Software Forum,
http://www.softwareforum.com", and so substituted SD Forum.  (The phrase
"Software Forum" is almost uniquely difficult to search for fruitfully.
It would help if I knew what this organisation is/was, but -- oh well.)

> I fear that "Adventure" is probably gone:  People seem to have stopped
> mentioning the cite a/o 1998.
                 ^

It's a sure sign of extreme fatigue, when I do that.  ;->

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure http://www-tjw.stanford.edu/adventure/ is no
more, and so I'll snip it from the link farm.  Pity, that.  DNS
resolves, but there's nobody home.

I'll aim to revise the "About Us" page, soon.  (The listing that follows
is, in part, an invitation for y'all to say "No, you idiot, don't do
that" as appropriate.)  Items to revise:

1.    open source[TM] software

where "open source" is a link to this text at the bottom:

      Open Source is a Registered Certification Mark of the (non-profit)
      Open Source Initiative, Inc.

That is no longer true:  OSI found that the "Open Source" trademark
could not be defended in court.  (A certification mark is one of three
types of trademarks.  The others are service marks, for services, and
standard trademarks, for goods.)  Therefore, OSI has shifted to using
"OSI Certified" as a certification mark.

I'll remove the "TM", the hyperlink to the statement at the bottom, and
the statement at the bottom.

(I've already made similar changes to the link farm page.)

2.    The group was originally formed in 1988 as the PC-Unix Special
      Interest Group of the Silicon Valley Computer Society.

Will add "..., and since 2002 operates under the corporate umbrella
of sbay.org".

3.     History and origins of SVLUG

       The Silicon Valley Linux User Group (SVLUG) is a special
       interest group (SIG) of the Silicon Valley Computer Society (SVCS).

Will change "is" to "originated as".

4.     Though there are no membership dues for SVLUG itself, the support
       we receive from the Silicon Valley Computer Society (SVCS)
       obligates us to encourage our members to consider joining
       our parent organization.

Checking the sbay.org site, I find to my mild surprise that it is _also_
a membership organisation in the customary sense.  That is, the public
is encouraged (if almost inaudibly) to join for (currently) $10 per year
for a "contributing membership".  Therefore, I guess I should make the
paragraph say "Though there are no membership dues for SVLUG itself, the
support we receive from sbay.org obligates us to encourage our members
to consider joining our parent organization."

None of my business, exactly, but sbay.org doesn't exactly make it easy
for interested parties to join.  Section 3 of the by-laws state:

   Applications for membership shall be submitted electronically on a
   form provided by the corporation. Each applicant must express a
   willingness to abide by the By-Laws and such rules as shall be
   promulgated from time to time by the corporation.

(I'll bet I know who wrote _that_ paragraph.  He forgot to add
"trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient,
cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.")

Neither of the sbay.org Web sites appears to have the "form provided by
the corporation".  Maybe the truly determined are supposed to track down
treasurer Reg Charney and pick his pockets to find one.  ;->

Anyhow, I'll make that change, for whatever it's worth.  Heather or Don,
if you want to apply a cluebat to whoever maintains http://corp.sbay.org/
and http://www.sbay.org/ , you might suggest that actually making
_possible_ (via those sites) the membership offer that the by-laws oblige
sbay.org to extend, there, to the public would be a really good idea.

The "Sponsors" page (http://www.svlug.org/sponsors.shtml) is a bit of a
basket case, and will require some thought.  For one, Linuxcare no
longer exists:  It's Levanta, and pretty much a wholly different
company.  I know (figure) that we want to retain acknowledgement of past
sponsors, even though they haven't "provided speakers, shirts, stickers,
and even raffling machines" in a dog's age, but something needs to
happen, here.

Also, the logo link is broken for some reason.

Similarly, this might (I'm not sure) be problematic:

    TurboLinux (formerly Pacific HiTech) has provided free hand-out
    Linux CDs for SVLUG installfests and events.

Several years ago, there was some head-spinning round of corporate
musical chairs, during which TurboLinux closed its US operations,
stopped offering English-language support, and refocussed entirely on
China and Japan.  Later, it re-opened a sales office in Palm Springs,
but God Only Knows why, because I'm pretty sure they're still doing no
US business.

The reason I'm saying "I'm not sure" is that, on the one hand,
everything said about TurboLinux is still true (as a statement about
what they've done for SVLUG in the past), but on the other hand that
listing's in the "Linux distribution manufacturers listed in
alphabetical order" section.

Thus, people browsing the page might be lead to think "Hey, they're
cool:  They support SVLUG.  I should try out their distro."  But unless
you're near Beijing or Tokyo, and speak Chinese or Japanese, you'll have
a fruitless search.

What I'll probably do is add an explanatory sentence:  "(Please note
that TurboLinux currently offers Linux distributions only in east
Asia.)"

Hyperlinks for all three distros listed (TurboLinux, Red Hat, SUSE)
need revising.

--
Cheers,               No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
Rick Moen             We do concede, though, that a large number of electrons