[web-team] Link farm updated

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 11 20:02:00 PDT 2004

OK, the other pending request was Heather's request that her job of
merging Margaret's (?) updates to the Link Farm page
(http://www.svlug.org/farm.shtml) be resumed, spiffed up, dusted off,
etc.  I've just done an initial pass, concentrating on fixing broken
links.  Also, renamings, etc.:  Cobalt Networks hardware -> Sun
Microsystems Opteron systems, S.u.S.E or SuSE -> SUSE , TurboLinux SSF
office -> TurboLinux Palm Springs office, Linux Consulting in Sunnyvale
-> Linux Consulting in Mountain View, Mandrake -> MandrakeLinux.

I found lots of good URLs for dead links.  For those that are truly
gone, I usually commented out with an explanation, rather than removing.
Even SCO.

I couldn't find any sign of "Software Development,
http://www.softwaredevelopment.com", and so substituted SD Forum as
possibly what was intended(?).

There remains a link that's unreachable on acount of what I believe to
be simply a down Web site (Mindsource BOFs; I corrected the URL,
nonetheless), and one that might well be well and truly gone (Adventure
at Stanford U.), but it's difficult to tell because our page warns that
it's a slow site at the best of times.

I fear that "Adventure" is probably gone:  People seem to have stopped
mentioning the cite a/o 1998.

The page needs a second pass, e.g. to add more-recent distributions to
those listed (the PowerPC distro listing is particularly outdated), and
append newer news sites.  All I've done, for the most part, is correct
the existing contents.

Sudden thought:  Maybe it's time to comment out the Picnix13 banner?

I was going to update our list of "Public companies who sponsor Linux
International" -- since I really doubt that "VA Linux Systems" is
shoveling ducats at anything with penguin breath -- but I notice that
the LI Web site's list of sponsors is even _more_ out of date:  It still
highlights the stalwart sponsorship of Caldera Systems, Inc.!