[web-team] breaking Bldg 9 directions into multiple pages

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Tue Jun 3 15:59:51 PDT 2003

>From: star at starshine.org (Heather Stern)
>As long as it's lynx-clean, I'm happy...

I haven't tested it with lynx yet.  (It was late last night when this
was finished.)  But it was lynx-clean before I split it up.

>Sounds good.  I agree, the redirect should stay for good, since SVLUG is
>so commonly pointed into it's hard to say how many sites have "building
>9" pointed at directly that way.
>
>We don't need to give anyone directions from the airport, do we?

We already do.  That's been there for years.  I just didn't list it
in the summary.  But it's on the page.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9-drive-south.shtml#87-downtown

Though you've gotten ahead of me.  I was thinking for next month's meeting,
when the BART SFO/Millbrae extension is supposed to be open, to add a
separate page for "fly-in" directions from all the airports, airline and
general aviation, using driving or transit from the airports.

As a cleanup item, I should also add a note to the beginning of all sets
of directions that will refer anyone to a different page...  "If you are
printing this set of directions, you'll also need [pages/links]."

We'll also have some changes coming up in October.  I noticed that VTA's
announcement of their massive cutbacks actually has a huge *improvement*
for SVLUG.  All the buses from Fremont BART will be combined into one line
that stops at the Great Mall and ends at Baypointe (which is 1/2 mile
from Bldg 9 and 1 mile from Bldg J.)  The buses previously went to
central Milpitas or downtown SJ, both with inconvenient transfers to get
anywhere near SVLUG.  They were trying to make it so people have to jump
on the light rail to get to downtown - but they'll practially drop people
off at SVLUG.  So that'll improve access to SVLUG for members from the
East Bay - return buses should run late and non-stop to Fremont BART too.