[web-team] installfest request

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Tue Feb 11 10:40:30 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 11:26:10PM -0800, thom phillabaum wrote:
> Sorry to be sending this to the webmasters, but the installfest page didn't
> have any e-mail addresses listed on it so I was hoping you could forward
> this to the appropriate people.

I believe the installfest coordinatoor is on the web team;  at the very
least, we can answer your questions here.

> I'd like to get your help installing Linux on an old powerbook 3400 I have.
> I tried to install Yellow Dog linux on it, but the first thing it said I
> needed was the Apple System CD which has gotten lost sometime in the past 5
> years. Is there anyone with experience installing linux on powerbook 3400's
> in the group that could help me out?

Your best bet is to mention on the SVLUG list that you have a powerbook
3400 you're planning to make into a linux box, and that you plan to be
at the installfest, so anyone inclined to help you out would be someone
you'd love to meet there.

Some of the "regulars" have experience with more than the PC platform
but I can't guarantee it'll be enough.  If it turns out that it isn't,
then the CABAL people (who meet on 2nd and 4th Saturdays; see
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/ for details) may also be able to help. As
they're a bit further up the peninsula a somewhat different batch of
people attends their meetings, and they often installfest at them.

> thanks for your time and help,
> thom phillabaum

All the best with your Mac.  You may want to mention which version of
MacOS it thinks it's begging for;  someone might have the disc around
and be able to bring it along.

Still, we can't guarantee anything but good companionship at
installfests, though normally power is provided too :D