[web-team] Interested in advertising on your site.

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed Feb 13 12:52:01 PST 2002

> Hello,
>     I have viewed your website and concluded that our company is
> interested in obtaining advertising space.

Our sponsor-spots have strict rules.  I suspect that you don't qualify.

> In order to establish> a professional relationship with your business
> we require direct communication.  Upon replying to this email please
> provide  me with your telephone contact information.  We look forward
> to doing business with you in the future.

We are not a business.  We are a Linux user group composed of, at any one
time, somewhere betweens tens and thousands of Linux users, all individuals.
A significant portion of the viewership has a decided distaste for banner
ads of all varieties, possibly including the small "spinners" we already have.

Since your request states that we *are* a business, it suggests you don't
read sites before you pester their webmasters.  But thanks for the thought.

In order to have an icon in the sponsors area you must have contributed
direct services or hardware to SVLUG.  They are not for sale and we have
no treasury to hold proceeds in even if we sold anything.  We do not expect
this status to change at all in the next few years.

> regards,
>               Craig
>

> Craig Shear
> Director of Operations
> Tel: 604.688.2310
> Fax: 604.688.2102
> Toll Free: 888.633.2259
> marketing at e-marketbiz.com

Consider reading the following Internet documents to improve your practices.
I have responded with this note because your own was short and polite, but
I ask you not to bother my web team with future requests.

	FYI 28 / IETF RFC 1855
		Netiquette Guidelines

	FYI 35 / IETF RFC 2635
		A set of guidelines for Mass Unsolicted Emails and Postings
		(spam*)

	FYI 38 / IETF RFC 3098
		Responsible advertising or, how not to Make Enemies Fast
		(current best practices in advertisement)

au revoir,