[web-team] Re: [svlug] SVLUG Netiquette Policy

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed Sep 19 18:06:01 PDT 2001

> [unless people on the list have comments, this should probably be followed
> up on web-team at svlug.org]

Done.

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 02:27:15PM -0700, Heather wrote:
>>> - Ask yourself the following questions: should this be a private reply (i.e.
>>>   sent to  the author only)? Does  the majority of  the list really  need to
>>>   receive what I'm going to send?
> >
> > You took out the part about the tomatoes?  I'm getting my tomatoes nice and
> > mushy to toss...
>
> Err, I don't remember seeing anything about tomatoes or taking it out :-)
[snip]
> I'm not sure what you're refering to, but it wasn't there to start with.
> Feel free to add though.

Ah, found it, that part is at the bottom.  "Ask yourself the following..."
should be down there too.  The major section is entitled "Be Polite".
Perhaps I should name it "When To Take It Off The List"

> > call this subsection BE CAREFUL WHEN QUOTING.  I'd go change it right now
> > but root has the file locked.
>
> Fixed (I probably screwed up and did a co -l instead of co by mistake)
>
> > And honestly, I think the particular Outlook trait you are noting is not
> > a broken-ness ... some other mailers do that ... the "broken" part is the
> > dork at the keyboard who leaves it like that.  It's just as annoying if
> > the Huge Quoted Block is above or below your comment.
>
> Mmmh, since outlook doesn't quote the message (i.e. add '> ' and indent),
> I'm not sure how you can easily quote and interleave answers.

By marking it up:

Marc quoth:
Mmmh, since outlook doesn't quote the message (i.e. add '> ' and indent),
I'm not sure how you can easily quote and interleave answers.
</quoth :) >

	And possibly indenting your own reply.

or by quoting "AOL style":
<<< whatever inane comment someone had about the latest instance of Mozilla
and cookies bla bla bla but only when I go shppping bla bla bla. >>>

	You know there is this great cookie eating program I use... etc.

But I'll add, that the given fragment doesn't express the method Outlook is
broken in which you described now.  So it merely looks ad hominem, which
isn't good netiquette even tho Outlook probably deserves it.

>>> - Keep your e-mail signature short -  5 lines or fewer. This includes the --
>>>   separator line, allowing for up to four lines of content.
>>
>> Unless somebody prefers a different length, this is fine.
>
> Well, you wrote that, so I'm glad you agree with it ;-)

<wicked grin>