[web-team] FAQ

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Sep 13 12:48:02 PDT 2001

> Yeap I sent out the change of subject line right after it. :-)
>
> I think my ISP's DNS server is wack !! I will look into it and thanks. In
> the mean time, you can access from http://64.194.8.205/misc/listfaq.html .
>
> Thanks.
> Winston.

Thx.

Okay, here's a start:

// original top paragraph

 This FAQ should serve as the sample guideline for the list rules. If
   there's a question that you think should be on here, or if you want to
   add something in or correct something, send your request to SVLUG
   Webmaster and if you think some rules here are in need of change or
   modification, please send your comments to SVLUG Officers.

// grammar cleanup

 This FAQ should serve as a guide to good conduct on the lists. If
   there's a question that you think should be on here, or if you want to
   add something in or correct something, send your request to the SVLUG
   Webmasters.  If you think some rules here are in need of change or
   modification, please send your comments to SVLUG Officers.

The sentence was a bit long, and since it was about sending to two
different @dresses anyway I split them up entirely.  And with luck this
isn't a sample, these are the real rules, or if we aren't enforcing strongly,
these are guidelines (but real ones).

0.1 [q.png] I see all these bracket things in lynx.
[a.png] I recommend ALT tags on your graphics.

You have places where "an SVLUG list" or "the SVLUG list" or "SVLUG lists"
should be picked.

I'd like to see notes which are the same for all lists first (e.g.

1. General Notes
	What is SVLUG?
	Where are SVLUG's lists hosted?
	SVLUG does not allow non-member postings to its lists.  Why?
	terminology
		Signature
		Quoting
		Flames

Stuff which is specific to a given list should be in their own section.
These should have some standard subsections first:

2. svlug-announce at svlug dot org
	.1 Purpose of the list
	   Announcement of SVLUG sponsored events and activities.
		.1 who is allowed to post
		   Officers of SVLUG.
		.2 acceptable topics
		   Only SVLUG events may be listed on SVLUG-announce.
		   If SVLUG is working in connection with another group
		   then SVLUG officers may choose to post it.
		.3 unacceptable topics.  Do not post these here
		   Events which may be of interest to our members, but
		   are not SVLUG events, may be posted to the main list
		   instead under your own account. (but don't spam!)
		.4 enforcement
		   The list manager does not allow unapproved posts.
		   Only SVLUG officers may approve them.
	.2 How to subscribe to this list, join, start getting mail.
		.1 as regular mail
		.2 digest
	.3 How to unsubscribe from the list, quit, stop getting mail.
		.1 temporarily
		.2 permanently
		.3 I forgot my password!

... and then stuff which is more tailored to that list only.
	.4 a good announcement should have these details
		.1 title of the event
		.2 location
		.3 date(s)
		.4 time range
		.5 directions, and/or a URL pointing at them
		.6 who to contact for more details
			.1 rsvp required?
			.2 URL of site for event if available

And I'm thinking that Jobs ought to be its own section so people with
that on their mind may go to it first.

Newbies, hmm, not sure what to say to that.  And I'm wondering if we
should make some effort to merge this with the regular FAQ button.
That is, perhaps the FAQ button should point to stuff about SVLUG (which
happens to include its lists), and the subsection for Newbies point at
the Linux-FAQ I have currently selected.