[web-team] feedback from SVLUG website

Heather star at betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Oct 29 09:28:02 PST 2001

> Dear webmaster,
>
> This is not actually a feedback.
>
> I am writing all the way from Nigeria. I am a would-be administrator.

A fair number of SVLUG members on our SVLUG mailing list may be able to help
you.  On the website, one of the navigation buttons is "Email Lists"i (in Lynx
or other imageless browsers, "Subscribe to our mailing lists!").  Tnat
takes you to some netiqueette guidelines and a description of the lists,
	http://www.svlug.org/policies/list-policy.shtml
	http://www.svlug.org/maillists/index.shtml

> I have a telnet box (on win2000) up to a linux system
> with kde installed. Is it actually possible for me to launch the kde on
> the linux system and see the GUI in the windows telnet box

To see X apps displayed on a remote machine, yes that's possible.  But not
via telnet.

> or am I misunderstanding this "DISPLAY" and X windows system client-server
> setup business?

Yes.  You need an X server set up on your MSwin machine.   One of two paths
needs to be used to get the kde program's X requests back to your MSwin-X:
(1) the unencrypted, normal X way to do it -- your MSwin-X serves on port
    6000 or so, and the Linux box is given a DISPLAY variable telling it
    where to resolve to, and display number.  (display number 0 is port 6000)
(2) tunneled back through ssh protocol -- requires an MSwin ssh client which
    has properly implemented forwarding.  Many have not.  The DISPLAY variable
    passed through will look something like "localhost:10.0" ... where on
    display 10, ssh has a stub that will pick up the requests, and forward
    them back to your original system.

> I have tried setting DISPLAY to `hostname`':0.0' and so on but it usually gives the error
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> or something similar.
> Please help out.

That's method 1, but you had no X server running.  In X windowing, it
"serves" a screen, keyboard amd input device(s) to the applications -
strictly speaking, they are the "client", not you.

Several commercial X servers for MSwin, and at least one free* one (named
MI/X) exist.

* as in beer.

> Yours-in-computing,
> Tunde Itayemi.

Good luck.  I hope that's enough;  I do recommend joining the main list.
There are people of every stripe there, some can help you out more if you
need it.