[web-team] READ ONLY filesystem!

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Mon Oct 22 00:07:01 PDT 2001

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 11:50:59PM -0700, Heather wrote:
>   It so happens I have a "canary" process which does something fairly
>   inocuous as a cron job everyday....
>
>   But it never fails, when I go out of town for a weekend a disaster has
>   to happen with something :(  The filesystem that houses home directories
>   has gone read-only on us.
>
>   Would someone who is a bit more familiar than me with the normal heartbeat
>   of the machine PLEASE take a look at what is on its mind before it decides
>   that anything worse is happening?
>
> I can as usual, be paged...

svlug.org had some filesystem problems on friday night.
I did some emergency work on it and brought it back up with init=/bin/bash
from a secondary backup root partition (the main one is mostly hosed).

I got the  web server and mailman/exim  to work, but the  machine isn't even
close to being in a normal state.

I'm planning on  looking at it more closely tomorrow  and restoring the root
filesystem from backup.