[web-team] SVCS.ORG

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Wed Oct 10 00:05:01 PDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 11:42:46PM -0700, Fred Townsend wrote:
> SVCS is  finally getting their web  site back together.  We  would like to
> get svcs.org pointing to the new  site. pac bell prefers name registration
> with  internic. How do  we go  about  doing that?   We would  be happy  to
> reimburse any registration  fees that you have paid in  preserving the URL
> for us.

Err, of all things, you *really* don't want to have any domain with
network solutions (which you call internic, but they're distinct).
Network solutions, apart from costing more, will give you the worst service
possible, if they do not screw up your domain for two months (like they did
for us):
http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-January/006479.html

We can at your option
1) Keep the zone where it is hosted and point records to the hosts of your
   choice
2) Change the technical/owner contact on the zone, so that you can directly
   admin the zone with opensrs (easy to do, works through a web site)
3) If you *really* want to move back the zone to network solutions, you can
   initiate a transfert and we'll approve it.

No money is necessary for the two zones (we "own" svcs.net and svcs.org)