[web-team] Official speaker for February 2002

Tom Geller svlug at tgeller.com
Mon Oct 1 17:38:02 PDT 2001

It's been confirmed. Web team: Please add this to the site.

Thanks!

--Tom Geller
   Speaker Coordinator, SVLUG
   415-552-2557

---begin---

Subject: SVLUG meeting Wed, 6 February, 7 pm.: MPEG4IP

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of SVLUG, this coming Wednesday.

WHEN:
   Wednesday, 6 February, 7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:
   MPEG4IP (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpeg4ip/)
   David Mackie, Technical Leader, Cisco Systems
   Bill May, Technical Leader, Cisco Systems

ABOUT:
   The objective of MPEG4IP is to remove barriers to streaming
   that exist because of companies who "embrace and extend"
   common standards -- and in doing so, break them. By
   comparison, MPEG4IP is being developed in consideration of
   the Internet Streaming Media Alliance specification for
   interoperable streaming technologies.

   MPEG4IP is an SDK available on SourceForge that includes an
   MPEG4-based encoder, decoder and server from which
   developers can create their own streaming solutions.
   Originally developed for Linux, MPEG4IP has been ported to
   FreeBSD, BSD/OS and Mac OS X by supporters.

   MPEG4IP is not a Cisco product; However, Cisco developers
   started the project over a year ago by aggregating and
   enhancing existing open-source code, and creating new
   libraries.

MORE ABOUT THE SPEAKERS:
   Both speakers are Technical Leaders at Cisco Systems'
   Technology Center. The Technology Center focuses on
   development of new technologies and markets. Both
   have the MPEG4IP project as their primary job focus.

   Bill May has over 15 years of industry experience and has
   held several positions during his eight years at Cisco. He
   has been involved in IOS as a developer in WAN and
   Infrastructure, was a Manager, and has worked on the IP/TV
   product. Prior to that he was in the telecommunications
   industry at companies such as T-Com, Cohesive Networks and
   Timeplex.

   David Mackie has been working on standards-based streaming
   media for the past five years, and has 15 years industry
   experience. He has lead a variety of R&D projects centered
   around Internet technologies at such companies as The
   Wollongong Group, Bridge Communications, Network Computing
   Devices, FTP Software, Open Market, Books That Work, Precept
   Software, and now Cisco Systems.

WHERE:
   Cisco Building 9.
   The land of NUMBERS. The VINEYARDS conference center.
   The side we are on is the Silver Oak/Jordan conference rooms,
   where a large Cisco fountain is usually not turned on.
   http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml
   If you have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team
   know! web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:
   It's best if you arrive close to on time, as otherwise
   there may not be someone posted at the door to let you in.
     After the speakers end their presentation there is usually
   a Q&A session, time for job seekers and employers to meet,
   and often a few door prizes.
     When the meeting is over people are encouraged to chat a bit,
   but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up. Don't
   worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty
   of time to chat outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

---end---

--

          Tom Geller  *  San Francisco * tgeller.com
Speaker Coordinator, Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (svlug.org)